When do you deal with a puncture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's some of top tips in this thread :notworthy:

Despite being moderately handy with adjusting gears, brakes etc. I find it's hit and miss for me in terms of replacing tyres and tubes. I know the theory but don't have the knack sometimes. Mainly in terms of getting tube and tyre back on. As an example, I tried putting some Marathons on a mountain bike. It took me nearly 45 minutes to do one, but only 10 minutes to do the second. I guess practice makes perfect - or nearly competent at least :-)

I'm not sure I'd manage without levers, as I struggle for strength in my fingers. However, I always check that the tube isn't trapped between tyre and the rim before inflating properly. Not sure if that mitigates the issue or not.

I've just invested in some spare tubes, a saddlebag and a repair kit so I can start venturing further afield, but not looking forward to having to use them in anger. I've got into the habit of topping up/checking tyre pressures before setting off.

There are some good videos on you-tube. I found looking for one against the tyre name helpful. Not sure if they all have their own quirks but it worked for the marathons.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Sharky said: "fit the tyre without using levers if you can. Using levers is one of the causes of punctures."
Does that also apply to plastic levers?
Yesbut. The key conditional element to @Sharky 's good advice is "if you can". But often you can't (and not in a "haven't yet done" meaning). In which case use plastic levers with care. MTB tyres: no problem, but a tight folding road tyre known to be 'tight' will defeat all but the strongest pair of thumbs employed with excellent technique and a high threshold of 'pain'. At that stage reach for the plastic levers. Oh; and talc.
Put a bit more air in - using one of those old-fashioned pump things - and bounce the tyre round making sure the beads are seated, before doing the 100 pump pump.
Thumbs up to anyone who can mount a Marathon+ without levers. Award yourself many kudos and ride for the rest of the tyre's life in peace, smugness and dead rolling weight.
Bitd there's no doubt metal levers did cause punctures without considerable care. But in decades of moral weakness I have never punctured a tube using a plastic lever to get the last bit on.
No doubt there is a velominati rule # but whatever.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
As others have said above. Avoid if you can, but if you do, take care not to trap the inner and check all round.

I actually use the metal levers(3). I find them to be more slender and more delicate to use and don't snap!

I repair the puncture normally immediately. Unless I can find the cause. If not, I pump up the tyre to find the hole in it then lay the inner tube against the tyre to help me find it. As I have gone that far I might as well repair it. Unless its raining!
If it's got slime in it I just pump up as that will help seal it.
If still up the following day sod it and carry on.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
A double-thickness piece of crisp packet works in a pinch, but may be hard to trim to size. Cardboard only works for a few miles, then it shreds, although it is easy to tear to size. A literal fag-packet repair got me within walking distance of home once, when I couldn't find any better-quality litter. The new polymer fivers are probably very good.
A useful tip is to have a lolly stick with some duct tape wrapped round it in your saddle bag. The cloth tape can be used to support a cut to the tyre, or hold another item in place. It can also be torn into smaller strips to work as emergency would closures ("not-steri" strips⛑)

Top Bottom