When does a bicycle become a new one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Personally, I think that would be when the frame finally cracks and you have to get a new frame.

I was thinking about this lately, because my Vivente tourer/commuter, which I bought 5.5 years ago, has done 71,000km :bicycle: and the only original parts on it are the frame, handlebars and brifters. Everything else I've replaced at least once.

I'm curious to know if any of you have bicycles in a similar state, i.e. where you've replaced just about everything on it? :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
The frame is the heart and soul of the bike so I'd say: new frame = new bike.

What's a brifter, by the way?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I had a bike where I actually replaced the frame, but still thought of it as the same bike. The original bike was based around a cheap training frame from SJS cycles bought from eBay, and replaced with a similar frame (in a different colour) from the same place.

Eventually the wheels were upgraded and most of the bits were replaced or upgraded. Exactly where the new bike emerged isn't clear. It's a philosophical paradox.

It started off as a single speed, stayed that way after the change of frame. I feel the new bike emerged when I rebuilt it as an 8 speed setup with a down tube shifter- that's when the character and 'feel' of the bike changed, at this time I also replaced the cheap wheels with some handbuilts and added a dynohub lighting setup which changed the way I used the bike somewhat.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Most of my bikes have had a somewhat chameleonic existence.
My 531 tourer has had anywhere between 21 gears and one, my Ribble has had 24, 16 and is now languishing on a mere 7, the Carbon Uberbike currently has 20 down from 24, and the 405 Ti has gone from 14 to being a fixed.
The Brommie is still pretty standard. Until I get a compact double on there, that is...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Most of my bikes have had a somewhat chameleonic existence.
My 531 tourer has had anywhere between 21 gears and one, my Ribble has had 24, 16 and is now languishing on a mere 7, the Carbon Uberbike currently has 20 down from 24, and the 405 Ti has gone from 14 to being a fixed.
The Brommie is still pretty standard. Until I get a compact double on there, that is...
Ditto apart from my unknown make 653 TT bike which is the only Campagnolo fitted one so shall remain a 20 ( mix of Centaur- mechs and crank, and Record- bar end shifters and rear block.

Could it even be the same bike if you transplant all current components (whether original or replaced) on to a new frame of the same brand......? As this happens all the time with classic cars, you can buy a brand new MGB shell put all the bits off an old MGB and according to DVLA its the same car......

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
my commuter has had the frame, wheels, tyres, saddle, post, grips, and chainset replaced. I still think of it as the same bike. But I guess it really isn't.

ayceejay

Guru
I've never experienced this as a problem although I did buy a new bike that I pretended (lied) was the old bike to get it past the missus, I told her it was only the bar tape that was new so it was really half a lie (the 'only' part) so I don't feel too bad.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Check the guarentee. It may trigger a frame replacement.
Just to clarify: there's nothing wrong with the frame on my Vivente, so my mention of cracks was hypothetical :smile:. I hope to top the 100,000km mark year after next, and who knows how much longer I'll use that lovely bike?

Top Bottom