When I Was Young . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Logical Song

When I was young
It seemed that life was so wonderful
A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical
And all the birds in the trees
Well they'd be singing so happily
Oh joyfully, oh playfully watching me
But then they sent me away
To teach me how to be sensible
Logical, oh responsible, practical
And they showed me a world
Where I could be so dependable
Oh clinical, oh intellectual, cynical

So, have you achieved what you wanted to?
Pursued your career, fulfilled your potential, followed your dreams, lived up to your expectations?

Is life what you thought it was when you were young and carefree?

I've always been curious and have travelled a lot, and see no sign of settling down (although a base somewhere would be nice).

Would you change the way things have worked out for you if you could, or are you happy with your lot; so far?

I'm very happy about the most important thing in my life, my marriage. I'd go through it all again if that was the only way that I could arrive at the relationship I have with Baggy. xx(:ohmy::becool:

That aside, the only thing that I really would like to change is my job and career. There are things that I can do about that, but they depend on me getting off my arse and making more of an effort. In fact, I have something that I should be doing right now. I really shouldn't be on here until I've finished.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I've done a lot of what I wanted to do, but, there is is still a few things i would like to achieve, like travelling to the far East and Australia/ New Zealand. Also I would like to go back to the Alps and cycle a few more of the big climbs.

Night Train

Maker of Things
When I was young I was building bikes, then I was in a band and then I was building cars. I would have been quite happy making music, making bikes, making cars, making stuff but earning a living came along.

Life gave me careers that I worked my way through from bottom to as high as I could.
Mechanic on trucks
Electrician in houses, offices and industrial
Housing managment from support needs to area renewal
Teaching,
Carpentry and furniture making

Life also gave me the ability to study so I can do all those things with a level of knowledge and ability.

The best thing I ever did was to stop climbing the career ladder. When the time came I got off, turned around and looked at the view.

Now I only do things because I want to. I choose the jobs I enjoy doing when I need money. I make things again. I choose my clients. I don't worry that people think I am odd or that I don't have new things. I don't worry that the other half of my house is still a building site. I spend more time with my folks then I have ever done, I have given them a granny flat at the back of my house. I have good friends, not many but they are good and true. I am often broke but I am never without a smile and I love my work. I also get to study because I want to and just cos. I have thousands of books. The view from my window is blue sky, stone walls, trees and grass (and motorway). Even the rain is pretty, when it rains.

I didn't get where I wanted to be but I got where I should be and where I feel a sense of belonging.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Who knows? I'm happy with the result so far at 53, 2 lovely grown up kids in relationships, a lovely wife and home but unfulfilled in my working life. As Chuffy implies though, if I'd pursued a different career path I may not have ended up with the other things. Sliding doors?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Well it's not always the best thing to look back and regret. But if I'd recognised the problem early enough and not ended up ill I think I may be better off now. But who knows - I learned a lot as a result of being ill. Mostly as Night Train says - don't bother yourself overly about stuff or people - unless you want to.

numbnuts said:
To put it in a few words "I think I f**k my whole life up":sad:
It's never too late to fix it though. I learned that about four years ago.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I held my brother's funeral on my 25th birthday. Eight days earlier life as I knew it ended and I remember little of the following 4 years other then I ran a business, met and married someone. What I know now is that had I not got married I wouldn't be here now. She is an ex wife now but still one of my best friends. My ex put me back together in the only way she knew how, set me up in a new career following hers and supported me all the way. In exchange I gave her the biggest leg up any housing officer could ever have and helped her become a consultant earning more money then I will ever know.

It was the realisation that, although she did her best to get me back into the land of the living, it was on her career ladder and not on mine that I decided to stop climbing and and to start living.

I went to my boss and booked all my holiday and then handed in my notice. I cleared my desk that afternoon and never went back. I had nothing to go to but I had a box of tools and so I went to all my friends and offered out my services as a carpenter, electrician, plumber, mechanic, baby/cat sitter and worked my ass off until college came along and I enroled on a furniture course with a bursary. The college had me teaching electrical during my first year, to cover staff on sick leave, and I never really left.

It is true that you never know what will happen next, my brother died in a car crash and my world changed beyond all recognition. I don't want to be stressing about stuff anymore, I just want to live and do, both for myself and any one I can help.

It is never too late to reassess and adjust and to remember what the real priorities in life are. Mine right now is to pay off this year's council tax and then the rest will be easy til next year.

Bigtallfatbloke

Best lyrics in history ever belong to Supertramp... Hide in your shell.

Hide in your shell cos the world is out to bleed you for a ride
What will you gain making your life a little longer?
Heaven or Hell, was the journey cold that gave your eyes of steel?
Shelter behind painting your mind and playing joker

Too Frightening to listen to a stranger
Too Beautiful to put your pride in danger
You're waiting for someone to understand you
But you've got demons in your closet
And you're screaming out to stop it
Saying life's begun to cheat you
Friends are out to beat you
Grab on to what you scramble for

Don't let the tears linger on inside now
Cos it's sure time you gained control
If I can help you, if I can help you
If I can help you, just let me know
Well, let me show you the nearest signpost
To get your heartback and on the road
If I can help you, if I can help you
If I can help you, just let me know.

All through the night as you like awake and hold yourself so tight
What do you need, a second-hand-movie-star to tend you?
I as a boy, I believed the saying the cure for pain was love
How would it be if you could see the world through my eyes?

Too Frightening- the fire's getting colder
Too Beautiful- to think you're getting older
You're looking for someone to give an answer.
But what you see is just an illusion
You're surrounded by confusion
Saying life's begun to cheat you
Friends are out to beat you
Grab on to what you can scramble for
Don't let teh tears...
... just let me know
I wanna know...
I wanna know you...
Well let me know you
I wanna feel you
I wanna touch you
Please let me near you
Can you hear what I'm saying?
Well I'm hoping, I'm dreamin', I'm prayin'
I know what you're thinkin'
See what you're seein'
Never ever let yourself go

Hold yourself down, hold yourself down
Why d'ya hold yourself down?
Why don't you listen, you can
Trust me,
There's a place I know the way to
A place there is need to feel you
Feel that you're alone
Hear me
I know exactly what you're feelin'
cos all your troubles are whithin you
please begin to see that I'm just bleeding to
Love me, love you
Loving is the way to
Help me, help you
- Why must we be so cool, oh so cool,?
Oh, we're such damn fools...

Dave5N

Über Member
I used to fall in love with everyone. Any guitar and any bass drum.

Life is a drink, and you get drunk when you're young.

But you find that life isn't like that.

It's so hard to understand.

(from memory, and there's been a good quarter century since I last heard it)

Top Bottom