When I were a lad ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
....... me mother would send me down to t'corner shop wi' a shilling, and I'd come back wi' five pounds o' potatoes, two loaves o' bread, three pints o' milk, a turkey, a pound o' cheese, a packet o' tea, two pounds o' sugar, an' 'alf a dozen eggs. Yer can't do that these days .......... There's too many bloody security cameras!

snorri

Legendary Member
I like it.:becool:

When I were a lad my Dad used to give me 2/- per week pocket money and, (if I was lucky it would be given on a Friday night) I would rush to A.V.Apps and greet 'Fred' - resplendent in cardigan, with the fug of his large pipe of navy cut.
Early on Saturday morning, I would leave his shop with the Hotspur, Hurricane, Victor and Valiant comics. Cost 1/10d. Tuppence change was for saving...the treasured Jubbly awaited sufficient saved income!

Otherwise, I had to be satisfied with a huge roll of second read comics (Loads of Radio Fun - with Jimmy Jewel and Ben Warris on the front) from the little shop/ bric-a-brac place outside Clapham Junction railway station.

I was loooky. :becool:

Aperitif said:
When I were a lad my Dad used to give me 2/- per week pocket money and, (if I was lucky it would be given on a Friday night) I would rush to A.V.Apps and greet 'Fred' - resplendent in cardigan, with the fug of his large pipe of navy cut.
Early on Saturday morning, I would leave his shop with the Hotspur, Hurricane, Victor and Valiant comics.

+1. Went through all of those in my time. Stirring stories for a lad back then.

Top Bottom