When is the best time of year to ride across France?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Bigtallfatbloke said:
...Thankyou.

Has anybody ridden a route this way around?

Calais,normandy, bretagne, les landes, down to bordeaux going east from there, north of the pyrenees to montpelier/nice etc

I'm thinking it may be a bit more scenic ...

...any good routes for these areas?

There's a couple of months cycling there. Don't rule out trains though if you want a bit of variation though.

If from somewhere in brittany you can get to Royan, just below la rochelle on the map, get the ferry across to soulac-sur-mer, then that's a great coastal ride down to Bordeaux.

Once you're in bordeaux, it will open it up a bit

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

here is an initial rough idea of a possible route...any good?

Abitrary

Bigtallfatbloke said:

Anything with lot's of coast is good... makes it feel like more of a holiday.

Still looks like at least 6 weeks of cycling to me though. Remember, you don't have to do it in one linear journey. I'd be inclined to pick a couple of places that look good, and get the train if need be.

Just have your entry and exit points clearly set

Brock

I agree with bonj, zonealarm is pukeware. AVG is good though. Your route looks good, think I'll go the same way :tongue:

Abitrary

Brock said:
I agree with bonj, zonealarm is pukeware. AVG is good though. Your route looks good, think I'll go the same way :biggrin:

I can't see the map in detail BTFB? Is there not away of posting the original link?

-I think I can see St Malo, which is a must. Also Rennes if you're down there is nice
-Brest I guess must be done so you can say you've done it.
-It looks like you're going from nantes to bordeaux, that looks boring. I'd go to La Rochelle, and straight down the coast where possible

bonj2

just take a compass and if in doubt, head south.

mcd

Abitrary said:
-I think I can see St Malo, which is a must. Also Rennes if you're down there is nice

Yes, the old part of St Malo is good (even though it isn't old - re-built after being flattened by, err, us during WW2). Mont Saint Michel is near by, as is Dinan - both a must if you are in the area. Jersey is an hour away from St Malo by ferry - let me know if you want someone to show you around.

xilios

Veteran
Bigtallfatbloke said:

While doing some research on routes for our upcoming tour to Santiago de Compostela I came across this site that you might be interested in.
http://www.francebalade.com/chatdlen.htm
Riding along the coast would be nice for a while but it could get boring. This section of the Loire has some of the best castles in France. And naturaly there are campings all over the place. We plan on finding a campground somewhere in the middle of all those castles and take a couple days to check out the area.
cheers

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bigtallfatbloke said:
...Thankyou.

Has anybody ridden a route this way around?

Calais,normandy, bretagne, les landes, down to bordeaux going east from there, north of the pyrenees to montpelier/nice etc

I'm thinking it may be a bit more scenic ...

...any good routes for these areas?

Scenic can ba a euphamism for hilly....

Brittany isn't particularly flat.

You might want to play around with one of the googlemaps mash ups to get a feel for the lie of the land.

www.mapmyride.com does a decent job at profiling a route.

Top Bottom