1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When should I first clean a new bike's chain?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by summerdays, 22 Apr 2008.

1. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

The new bike is only a couple of weeks old and hasn't been riden that much (under 25 miles) due to the problem with the saddle. I just looked at the chain and it looks like there is lots of bits stuck to it and and on touching it, it is really stickyxx(. I was hoping that it would come nicely lubricated but it looks more like covered in glue! Should I have immediately cleaned it on taking it home?

Do I need to clean off what ever is on this chain in a special way or just do a normal sort of clean and lube?

I have been using Finish Line Wet Lube (Green Lid) on my other bike, but I was considering using the Finish Line Teflon Plus Dry lube (Red Lid) on this one (as I was hoping the weather was going to improve). Would anyone recommend that product or another for summer (ever hopeful:biggrin:) riding.

2. http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5849&highlight=mickle's+one+true+way&page=2

3. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

I use dry and it works brill other than vanishing when it rains

4. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

Finish Line Pro Road, does what it says on the bottle.:biggrin:

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I supplement proper chain cleans with a run through a babywipe before relubing. It works for me.

6. I'd second baby wipes (or the impregnated wipes from Aldi - great at cleaning oily muck off stuff).

I rarely using a chain bath these days. Just use the baby wipes (or Aldi wipes) regularly and mainly use Finish Line Pro Road on my best bikes(make sure you don't put too much on - and wipe off any excess).

I also sometime use BoeShield (lubricant/anti rust spray) developed for the aircraft industry by Boeing - altho its expensive ot GT2 on my winter bikes. And again make sure you wipe off any excess.

7. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Another Mickle Method + Finish Line Pro Road user here.

8. Not if you're using a KMC 10SL !