When should I first clean a new bike's chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The new bike is only a couple of weeks old and hasn't been riden that much (under 25 miles) due to the problem with the saddle. I just looked at the chain and it looks like there is lots of bits stuck to it and and on touching it, it is really stickyxx(. I was hoping that it would come nicely lubricated but it looks more like covered in glue! Should I have immediately cleaned it on taking it home?

Do I need to clean off what ever is on this chain in a special way or just do a normal sort of clean and lube?

I have been using Finish Line Wet Lube (Green Lid) on my other bike, but I was considering using the Finish Line Teflon Plus Dry lube (Red Lid) on this one (as I was hoping the weather was going to improve). Would anyone recommend that product or another for summer (ever hopeful:biggrin:) riding.

I'd second baby wipes (or the impregnated wipes from Aldi - great at cleaning oily muck off stuff).

I rarely using a chain bath these days. Just use the baby wipes (or Aldi wipes) regularly and mainly use Finish Line Pro Road on my best bikes(make sure you don't put too much on - and wipe off any excess).

I also sometime use BoeShield (lubricant/anti rust spray) developed for the aircraft industry by Boeing - altho its expensive ot GT2 on my winter bikes. And again make sure you wipe off any excess.

Top Bottom