"when the car door was thrown open"...no claims advert (who's fault)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smooth

I was 'doored' on the day first day i went back to commuting to work. My chest/ribs took full impact of the top corner of the driver's door and caused a golf ball sized lump in my chest where the tissue had been squashed up together, it was 4 moths ago now and i am left with a scar that looks like a bullet wound.

I jumped up straight away after - i think the adrenaline must have tricked me into thinking i was ok because i managed the rest of the communte and only when i jumped in the shower did i realise i was pissing of blood.

It didn't occur to me to claim or even ask for the drivers details especially but in retrospect should i have?

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I've been knocked off the bike three times - all three times was not my fault. Only in this last time have I put in a claim.

I am a typist by living and also play the piano to a high standard as a hobby. When this is how you earn your living and get your fun a broken finger is no joke (6 weeks no typing) - neither is a broken bike that you haven't even finished paying for.

I take a dim view on claiming generally and don't approve of the "where there's a blame there's a claim" culture but felt justified in this case. I do agree though that rather not get hurt in the first place than get a good claim. Even if you do get a good payout you never really get back to the point where you started before you were injured do you?!!!

I hit a bus this morning with my fist (by accident)(at Aldgate) I hit the rear wheel arch and nearly fell off.Hurt a bit after that one.When I got to work and took my glove off my knuckle was bleeding.The bus wasn't moving btw.

I don't like car doors but and I wont talk about it as I don't want to tempt fate.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
hackbike 666 said:
I hit a bus this morning with my fist (by accident)(at Aldgate) I hit the rear wheel arch and nearly fell off.Hurt a bit after that one.When I got to work and took my glove off my knuckle was bleeding.The bus wasn't moving btw.

How did that happen? I had to hit a bus once because it nearly drove into me.

U

User482

LOGAN 5 said:
I got doored when a passenger got out whilst the car he was in was stationary in a queue of traffic. He just flung the door open and over I went. Broken finger, off work for a while, court case where he of course lied and got off (offence of opening a door to danger) but I did get an insurance claim pay out.

It's not always overtaking parked cars which can end in a dooring.

Same thing happened to my brother in law. He woke up in hospital with a knackered knee. Police tried to make out it was his fault, and the driver denied liability (even though the passenger opened the door, the driver is liable) but he stuck to his guns and got a very tidy payout the week before it was due in court.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Yeah mine are denying liability - they are saying that they were pulled into the kerb and indicating left as their intention to do so.

Apparently going on that side of the car is illegal according to the highway code if they are indicating so they have decided to lie in order to put me in the wrong. They weren't indicating at all - I shall fight it to the death!!!!;)

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
the reluctant cyclist said:
Apparently going on that side of the car is illegal according to the highway code if they are indicating so they have decided to lie in order to put me in the wrong. They weren't indicating at all - I shall fight it to the death!!!!;)

My dad broke his leg after undertaking a car, which was indicating right. They then changed their mind and didn't check their blind spot before turning left, into him. They maybe signalled left, but having signalled right they should of checked their blind spot before turning....don't think the driver even looked in his mirror!

He did win compensation as the insurance party admitted liability. The driver didn't lie about anything, but probably wasn't 100% honest. I think he tried to make himself not sound as bad and all it did was delay things. In the end of the day, nothing happened to him so he may as well have just fessed up to it all.

That was a pretty large claim as the accident has resulted in him taking ill health retirement.

thomas said:
How did that happen? I had to hit a bus once because it nearly drove into me.

About two minutes before the incident I overtook a van but had to duck to avoid hitting the mirror but my bag hit it instead.Van driver didn't seem to notice.Then I got too close to the bus and nearly fell off.Hit it with my knuckle (my hands were at the side of my drop handlebars covering the brakes) but it didn't shake me up even though it put me off balance.:tongue:

hackbike 666 said:
The first sensible post on this thread at last.

"At last"? It was the third post after the OP, and pretty much in line with the other two responses.:tongue:

asterix

Comrade Member
My accident was due to a car door collision whilst proceeding down one of those green cycle lanes.

It took a long time but I received a significant sum in compensation through the CTC's solicitors whom I would recommend.

IMO those green cycle lanes are a dangerous modification and instead of which, other road users need to be taught to be more considerate of cyclists.

Bman

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:
Why not just stop listening to commercial radio? It's all rubbish.:biggrin:

I'm up for suggestions. Absolute Radio is the best we've found on freeview (at work) so far.

Top Bottom