When to book budget hotels for the best price?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Because of my commute work I'm going to need to book a hotel more or less each Monday evening. I have the choice of three or four budget chains, and because I'm a cheapskate I want the best deal. So - when's the best time to book? Do I leave it as late as possible in the expectation that Monday in a London suburb is not exactly the height of business or tourist demand, or do I sneak in earlier?

alicat

Legendary Member
Choose your favourite chain and do a ghost booking for a range of dates. Barring special events, that should give you a clue of when the best price is.

With Travelodge, I book as early as possible. Prices only rise. The one I like staying at (Finchley) is popular with contractors because it has a free car park.

OP
OP
srw

srw

Are you registered with the chain? I’m an Accor ‘member’ and get at least 10% (often more) off bookings.
I've got a choice of at least three, all of which offer bedrooms looking into my own office. Hilton offer members' prices (and I've signed up) and points, and a free breakfast of dubious quality. Jury's Inn offer points only. Premier Inn is cheaper than the others but has no deals. In the next week or two I'll have stayed in all three and will have established a favourite.

There's also a Travelodge, also in sight of the office - but the open windows make it look like it has no air-con - apart from the fact that the building looks like something the Soviets would have rejected as too grotty.

Incidentally, if anyone wants a cheap way to stay close to central London (for a show, for instance) East Croydon is a much better bet than you might think.

OP
OP
srw

srw

Any of the Accor group of hotels in the area? I’ve found them the most generous when it comes to member discounts.
Not close enough. But looking at the map I realise that there is also a Holiday Inn Express just over the road.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Book a cheap Travelodge or Premier Inn that you can cancel up to the last minute, but have a quick shufti round for the best last minute deals if you can be doing with the hassle?

For what it's worth, I much prefer Premier Inns over Travelodge despite them usually being more expensive.

D

Deleted member 26715

Go see the manager, granted quite a few years ago but we wanted Monday, Tuesday in a hotel for 6 weeks in Bristol, he gave us a special rate.

AndyRM

XOXO
Does it have to be a hotel? If it's going to be a regular thing Air BnB might be a better option?

OP
OP
srw

srw

Book a cheap Travelodge or Premier Inn that you can cancel up to the last minute, but have a quick shufti round for the best last minute deals if you can be doing with the hassle?
Good idea. The markup for flexibility seems to be only a few quid. And then if my plans change I can cancel.
Does it have to be a hotel? If it's going to be a regular thing Air BnB might be a better option?
Stay in someone else's house? And actually have to talk to them? Why would I want to do that?

It might be better to have an affair - accommodation for free and something to do in the evenings. :whistle:
Shhhh! Don't tell @rvw.

I'm just interested that you consider Hilton to be in the "budget" hotel range

Please tell me it's a Doubletree

Ha! It's a Hampton by. I don't think East Croydon is quite the place for a luxurious romantic retreat. Look what Google inbox makes of it:

Screenshot_20180702-211326~2.png

Andrew_P

In between here and there
At least month if not more and you should get premier inn sub 50 Mondays,

They get more expensive closer to the time I always thought they had some sort system like easyJet using current bookings to adjust prices, but I have paid £48 for a Sunday night on the day and it's been packed where normally empty Sunday.

Book months in advance and £30-40

Hilton Croydon was always £80+

Two Travellodge I can think of in Croydon were grotty, you want cheap look at easyHotel East Croydon, if you are brave....
i

Top Bottom