When to go Clipless ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez73

Veteran
If you decide to go clipless try as many shoes as you can. A pair of MBT type with a recessed cleat might suit you particularly if you opt for double sided flat/clipless pedals. It's not hard to master using clipless pedals anyway. Goodluck to you on your new bike. Enjoy.

Get the best of both worlds ... Flats and lips...http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-combination-pedals/

You want/need clips, you use them, you want/need pedals, you get pedals... Best of both

kedab

Veteran
Get the best of both worlds ... Flats and lips...http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-combination-pedals/

You want/need clips, you use them, you want/need pedals, you get pedals... Best of both

+1 i've got these on my hybrid and got the cleats for the clipless side after about 3 weeks then never looked back - spent about 10 minutes wobbling about near my home, clipping and unclipping and found it really straightforward - i'd say go for it, the difference it makes if you're riding roads, is remarkable.

kedab

Veteran
does it really make that much difference.
because you're more 'connected' to the bike, you can pedal the entire rotation, you can transfer more power much more easily. you're clipped in so you aren't shifting your feet around - i found it made a big difference to me and i'm by no means an accomplished rider.

daSmirnov

Your pedalling technique improves with clipless. I've got SPDs on my road bike, and flats on my mountain bike (my bum around leave around town bike) stamping on pedals to move is so annoying in comparison.

Climbing and out of the saddle feels much more confident with clipless, as you're not worried about slipping off a pedal too, this is a pretty significant benefit, as I feel much more able to push without constantly having in the background the thought of losing a foot and potentially going down.

does it really make that much difference.
Definitely.
I had the same worries as did my wife, brother-in-law, colleagues.
Not one of them would ever go back to flats, toe traps etc.

Makes a huge difference and you feel more in control, a part of the bike rather than just on it.
I have SPDs on my hybrid and MTB and SPD-SLs on my roadie.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Simply screw the pedals onto the bike, screw the cleats into your new shoes and experiment to find a comfortable position for the cleats based on foot position.

Before anyone recommends Shimano PDM 520s, do yourself a favour and spend a fiver or so more on some PD M530s or PD A520s.

Top Bottom