When to re-seed lawn?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, I've ordered some "Sprogs and Dogs" grass seed mix to try and overseed my poor excuse of a lawn!.

Just wondering when's the best time to lay it?. Will have a go with the lawn rake to get all the moss out first and try and level some bits where the dog has decided to dig it up..

I'm not looking for a bowling green just a presentable lawn really.

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers, Keith.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not got a seed suggestion, but in light of your Labrador thread, according to my bro, the urine of female dogs is especially damaging to grass. They put something like this in their dog's water bowl to reduce urine burn
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Rocks-Urine-Patch-Preventer/dp/B000NE2UH4

And watch out for the birds eating all the seed!

Levo-Lon

Guru
As said,now until summer and also as said you'll always have problems with a Lab bitch peeing.. I had patches all over with a small Border terrier bitch..

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think at time time of year you are wanting about at least 10 degree air temperature which should hopefully mean a minimum of 6 degree soil temperature. I have not sorted my lawn yet, a bit too early. I have however attacked the moss. I missed the boat in Autumn to seed which would have been a better time.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For reseeding to repair damage I would suggest spring or autumn. As others have said with a Labrador bitch the problem will return unless you keep her off the grass.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
My normal for this time of year if you aren't digging over the area first, would be to put down a Spring grass feed first, wait a week then apply a mosskiller, give the lawn a good scarifying then go about your seeding, leave sometime after scarifying...
obviously wait until the ground is a bit warmer..

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[QUOTE 5566845, member: 9609"]when you see the farmers sewing spring barley in your area. They're experts in the correct moment, it has not started here yet
(barley & wheat is basically just grass)[/QUOTE]
Is it still done like this? :smile:

sower.jpg

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
To be fair my Lab does very well with house training, might try and get her to use one spot but can't really complain.

Heard about the stones as well, may give them a go.

Cheers all!.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Grass seed will fair so much better when the night time temperatures are at about a steady 10°c, the germination will be so much better.

In the meantime, as others have stated, give it a good raking or hire a scarifier for the day. Get as much crap out as possible. You’ll also break up any surface crust on the soil.

Bitch urine isn’t good on grass.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I'll put my time into prepping the lawn and hold on for warmer weather, shouldn't be too long hopefully!.

By coincidence my Sister In Law is having her grass dug up for a drive so might go round on Sunday and take some up for ours!.

Top Bottom