Where can I get an old frame to restore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Have you tried googling for cycle jumbles near you?,. They're pretty popular all over the summer and many of the buyers are looking for rare and unusual stuff so an old 531 frame may often get overlooked. There was one near Preston last week where I had a stall and I saw at least 2 531 frames that had remained unsold at 3 previous jumbles. They were both under £50 ( Walvale and Raleigh Road Ace )

OP
OP
T

tyk3

Have you tried googling for cycle jumbles near you?,. They're pretty popular all over the summer and many of the buyers are looking for rare and unusual stuff so an old 531 frame may often get overlooked. There was one near Preston last week where I had a stall and I saw at least 2 531 frames that had remained unsold at 3 previous jumbles. They were both under £50 ( Walvale and Raleigh Road Ace )

Thanks for that. I had never even heard of a cycle jumble, but according to www.bikejumbles.co.uk (thanks google) there's one near me next month.

Blue_icicle

Have you tried Boot Sales?

We got my wifes run around from a boot sale and only paid £18! for it.

It was roadworthy too, apart from a small adjustment needed to the brakes and the SA 3speed.

Freecycle is a good idea, there is also a spin-off called Freegle which is also useful for getting things for free. Bikes tend to be in great demand on there though.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I was at the Bicycle Village in Sale Manchester at the weekend.
www.bicyclevillage.the-bike-barn.co.uk
They had a bike swap stall where there were a load of frames and some other bits. The idea was that you either brought something along to swap or you made a donation to the charity there.
There was also a bike auction where there were a load of bikes from vintage sit up and beg types to nearly new BMX to children's bikes. There was a lot of good stuff going for very little money, from £5 for a BMX to £40 for the 'Miss Marple' step through in near perfect condition.

There may be stuff going in local to you that might be the same.

brockers

I just don't get this. Every day I see two or three frames coming on to eBay which fit my brief, and I'm in no way in the middle of the Bell-curve when it comes to sizes. Just bought one today in fact, for the cost of a good sesh in the boozer.

Another idea might be to look at Retrobike.co.uk. Some beautiful vintage frames come up periodically. Though don't tell everybody..

Top Bottom