Where can I go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian at fleet

Hello everyone, I would like to spend a week cycling in southern europe. I would need to hire a road bike on arrival need decent accomadation, nice flat safe routes. Hoping to go January or February. 50 miles a day I can handle. Any suggestions please.
Thanks Ian

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ian, i have just returned from Mallorca, my first visit.

There are lots of bike hire shops all over the Island who hire road bikes in excellent condition. I stayed for 3 days in Port de Pollenca in the North and then 3 days near Palma in the South.

The cycle paths are flat and well marked. Public transport, especially the trains are cheap. €3.95 from North to South on the train including my bike.

For cheap accomodation have a look at Airbnb.com. I use it a lot and recommend it.

I will be going back next Spring and Autumn, and I never go back to places. It is great.

Steve

You could fly into Cagliari Sardinia.

If you stick to the Campidano it's very flat.

If you do go let me know and I can recommend a lone limping dog cafe in the countryside.

OP
OP
Ian at fleet

Ian at fleet

Thanks for the info, having got my first road bike in May, a Merida ride lite, and having spent the summer riding 100 miles a week I am getting fustrated at the dark wet nights.

andym

Über Member
I was going to say the Pyrenees but I see you want to keep it flat. How about Southern Italy?
Most of Puglia is fairly flat, but the rest of southern Italy is mountainous.

Puglia wouldn't be a bad choice but it's still a gamble: it could be mild and sunny or it could be very rainy. I've been there in April when it was warmer in London. Possibilities for hiring a bike other than a basic hybrid 'city bike' are probably extremely limited.

Bodhbh

Guru
Most of Puglia is fairly flat, but the rest of southern Italy is mountainous.

Puglia wouldn't be a bad choice but it's still a gamble: it could be mild and sunny or it could be very rainy. I've been there in April when it was warmer in London. Possibilities for hiring a bike other than a basic hybrid 'city bike' are probably extremely limited.

I was over there on a 'regular holiday' earlier in the year. Looking into bike hire, there's a place that does entry level road bikes near Bari, Puglia in bici. We rented some hybrids from Puglia bike hire, which were cheap but weren't up to much beyond shopping trips into town. V nice part of the world, but I did read the winters aren't particularly warm.

OP
OP
Ian at fleet

Ian at fleet

Ian, i have just returned from Mallorca, my first visit.

There are lots of bike hire shops all over the Island who hire road bikes in excellent condition. I stayed for 3 days in Port de Pollenca in the North and then 3 days near Palma in the South.

The cycle paths are flat and well marked. Public transport, especially the trains are cheap. €3.95 from North to South on the train including my bike.

For cheap accomodation have a look at Airbnb.com. I use it a lot and recommend it.

I will be going back next Spring and Autumn, and I never go back to places. It is great.

Steve
Hi Steve thanks for the information, could you let me have some more details please? as your trip seems to be exactly what I am looking for. ibhenderson@btconnect.com. Thanks

dichuanrenes

think so,Possibilities for hiring a bike other than a basic hybrid 'city bike' are probably extremely limited.
22.gif

Top Bottom