Where can I ride my new tricycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lesley

I have just bought a di blasi..?.fabulous.
Any ideas about tricycle routesj in berkshire?
Do I have to wear a helmet?
ANY tips very. Gratefully received.
Lesley

wouldn't tricycle routes be broadly similar (if not totally identical) to bicycle routes...?? ie - ride it anywhere you like. No helmet legally required, but it's your choice...

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
If its what I'm imagining, this is an upright tricycle, with three small (20"?) wheels in delta formation (one wheel at front, two at the back.) I'd be hesitant to take it on trails because:

a: I'm not sure the little wheels will treat you too kindly on the bumpy stuff
b: It might feel fairly tippy if the wheels end up in different ruts.
c: Whatever defences are added to cycle routes might well not admit something as wide as a trike.
d: You have three chances to line yourself up with a nasty (whereas a conventional bike having one wheel behind the other has only one).

Fortunately, the UK has a nationwide network of cycle routes called 'the road'. These are relatively well maintained and (assuming you have two brakes) are perfectly accessible by trike. There's no compulsion for a helmet and the decision to wear one or not is with you.

Bikehike, ridewithgps, googlemaps will all help you identify suitable routes, and a fair amount of fun (and miles) can be had by picking an arbitrary lane and following it. If you're not overly confident, check the gradients on ridewithgps before you set off. Anything called Church Hill is a no-no.

Does that help?

Andy.

byegad

Legendary Member
Those dark grey (Usually.) strips of tarmac are cycle routes, except Motorways.

The problem with a trike is the morons who put narrow entrances to off road cycle farcilities to 'stop illegal motorbikes' usually don't stop the motorbikes but do stop trikes, wheelchairs and pushchairs.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Those dark grey (Usually.) strips of tarmac are cycle routes, except Motorways.

The problem with a trike is the morons who put narrow entrances to off road cycle farcilities to 'stop illegal motorbikes' usually don't stop the motorbikes but do stop trikes, wheelchairs and pushchairs.
It folds though!

byegad

Legendary Member
Try folding it 5 times in under a mile. Two friends of mine had to lift their fully laden recumbent trikes, (OK unload each one, lift the trike over/around the obstacle, carry the panniers through/over/around the obstacle, then reload.) that many times in less than one mile on what Sustrans laughingly call a cycle route.

Top Bottom