where do I find out about wind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Simon, we've got lots of useful wind websites (for sailing) and tend to look at several of them to get an overview. Is there anywhere particularly you're looking for wind? If it's for the Rides to the Coast then the inshore wind forecast might work quite well for you.

Current favourite is this one, as James sits in Ramsgate Harbour where he's been since Saturday. They were planning to sail across to Dunquerque, then up to Ostend, but instead sailed Walton to Ramsgate and expect to sail back on Saturday. Some holiday! A week in Ramsgate...

Anyway, here's the site: http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marine/weather?09&LANG=en&WIND=g255&KUST=03958&CEL=C&SI=mph

He also uses Windguru a lot I believe.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Weather Underground (in my day that meant something else entirely) pretty much does it for me. Most of the sites have wind speeds, but if you go to a specific town Weather Underground has records of wind speed and direction for every day for the last umpteen years - so you can simply run your eye down the column and come to a view.

I've got an old atlas which has two world maps, one for December and one for June, which has arrows going across it, and average barometric pressures. The massive tome in Aylesbury's library was a sort of bigger better version of that.

Thankyou one and all - much appreciated.

Top Bottom