Where do I split my chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andsaw

My chain has one of those chain pins that you snap off once inserted, do you remove that pin or should you split the chain at a different point and leave the chain pin in place so I can fit a missing link.

pawl

Legendary Member
My chain has one of those chain pins that you snap off once inserted, do you remove that pin or should you split the chain at a different point and leave the chain pin in place so I can fit a missing link.

Don't do it in the kitchen you will get chain grease all over the floor.

I suspect that you are referring to a Shimano chain,if so i am not sure a quick link will fit.Some one with more knowledge will be along to advise.

U

User33236

Why do you want to split your chain?

The Shimano joining link looks different to all other link in the chain. I would suggest if you do need to spilt your chain then do so at that point and use a quick link to re-join to make future disconnects easier

OP
OP
andsaw

andsaw

I use chain wax that you heat up so i need the link to rejoin, I know the shimano link is different as its just a solid barrel but you can't reuse them and was asking as I understand that when a shimano pin is inserted it expand the hole and can cause problems when you use a missing link in the same hole and you should rejoin in a different place and leave the shimano pin in place.

Top Bottom