Where do some people learn to drive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You can't win though sometimes. There's a Nisa near me where the front of the shop is directly on a fast road, and the pavement is narrow with a steel fence stopping people ending up on the road.. if you put a bike on the railing you'd be partly blocking the narrow path. So I park my bike to the rear or the side where there's basically a small car park with 3 spaces for Nisa, and maybe 5 spaces marked for nearby residents.
Last time I went, i came out of the shop and got moaned at by a resident for parking the bike at the back of the shop. "This is private property", he said! It belongs to the people who live in the flats above and to the rear of the shop.
One, I said, no it isn't. It's a public place with public access, with no signage or fencing or similar telling me any different.
Two, I said, what possible harm is a parked bike doing to you? It's against a wall, nowhere near his house.

Oh and he said next time I park my bike there he'll be forced to take action. I'm quite tempted to see what that might look like now, the threatening little NIMBY pr*ck.

winjim

Smash the cistern
When I'm PM, which must surely be any day now, I will ban parking anywhere in public other than a marked parking bay. Roads are for driving/cycling on, not for storage.
And use the space created to build some proper cycle lanes.

Drago

Legendary Member
[CAR PARKING RANT MODE ON]I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you can't provide proof that you have off road parking in Tokyo, then the authorities won't issue you the necessary permit to purchase a new or used car. Some folk are eligible for tiny Kei cars to get around this, but most are forced to either park off the road or else get the bus. And too blummen right. We should do the same here.

It doesn't help that in the 00's the government set a formula that limits driveway capacity on the new housing developments. It was supposed to discourage car ownership, but all it does is encourage lazy people to park on the incredibly narrow modern housing estate streets. No no no. If people want a car, fine, but they should take responsibility for not inflicting or on the rest of society when they ain't driving it.[CAR PARKING RANT MODE OFF]

D

Deleted member 26715

It doesn't help that in the 00's the government set a formula that limits driveway capacity on the new housing developments.
Then encouraged the development of greenfield sites with no amenities or public transport so that everybody who lives there has to have a car.

Top Bottom