Where do you buy a bike if you're flat broke?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

Got absolutely no money right now. My bike's failed on me, going to cost a lot to fix it. I've not cycled for about a week and I'm desperate to get back on the trails!

Any idea where I could get a really cheap bike to use?

mr Mag00

rising member
household recycling centre

caimg

Über Member
If you want to be really altruistic you could steal one from somebody, that'd cost you nothing. Then, when you're nicked, the police will wait for a while and then the bike will eventually be given to someone else who needs a bike, and they wouldn't have needed to do anything bad to get it.

Win win!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Thanks for the tips.

Maggot, there's no good ads on Freecycle right now.

I just really wish I had money for a bike, I'm sick of buying super cheap ones that work for 2 weeks and then I have to throw them away.

Manonabike

Über Member
+1
Although our tip is privately run so they do not let you have anything , and our freecycle is overun with booters waiting to pounce.What about gumtree/local newspapers?

To the OP , why are your bikes only lasting 2 weeks? even a cheap /free second hand bike should last longer if some basic maintenence is caried out.

Probably I'm not the only one here that thinks the OP might be looking for a kind donor / cheap bike here :laugh:

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Put a post up here in the classifieds section, in the wanted, or exchange/free sections. There might be someone with an old bike needing a home.

* Fnaar.....dont, ok. Iv already thought it.;)

Ih007

I never seem to find anything on Freecycle, but keep watching in hope. Don't hold your breath for that as a source.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Have a look for a 2nd hand bike shop or a recycling project. They are likely to have some cheap bikes, and especially with the recycling projects, if you get involved with them you may be able to learn a lot about how to fix and maintain bikes yourself as well (and possibly get to do a bit of welding/braising/shot blasting etc.)

Are any of these useful?

compo

Veteran
+1
Although our tip is privately run so they do not let you have anything , and our freecycle is overun with booters waiting to pounce.What about gumtree/local newspapers?

I agree about Freecycle. It has been overtaken with bootsaler and Ebayers. Mostly now when I give stuff away I take it directly to a charity shop. This doesn't help the OP get a bike, sorry!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I agree about Freecycle. It has been overtaken with bootsaler and Ebayers. Mostly now when I give stuff away I take it directly to a charity shop. This doesn't help the OP get a bike, sorry!

Yup i am considering cancelling my freecycle account, you see to many items that are listed as taken within minutes of posting and you see posts every day for brand new items , heck someone was after an iphone 4 ! and then you get people after brand new furniture .... its amazing how many people are always looking to furnish a house to a specific taste ...FFS if your that desperate for furniture then you should be thankful you have something that is in good condition regardless of colour.
When i offer items i wait at least a day before deciding who should have an item, if all they send is a " can i have this plz txt me on XXXXX" then they get binned.

Top Bottom