Where do you keep your D-Lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rosscbrown

I have a a Kryptonite lock which is fantastic but it takes up all the room in the front triangle. As a result I've got nowhere to attach a bottle cage. Does anyone have a creative mounting solution that will keep the lock largely out of the way?

The Kryptonite bracket is at least 30mm larger than it needs to be - is there an "after-market" bracket is a bit smaller?

I know You can mount the lock on the seat post but I don't ride with it very high so that's not an option. Also the rear rack I use is seat mounted, so while I *could* mount it on that, I often ride about without the rack attached.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've been known to put the lock through the saddle rails and Velcro it to the seat post.
You need a shortish lock and / or a longish seatpost to do that.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Been looking into solutions myself...

One is Abus walking stick clips. Comes in a pack of three and they screw into the rack, you then pull a fabric teather over the D Lock to hold it in place. Not sure how stable it is. Some of the bigger D Locks wont fit so well by the looks of it though.

Second option is an oversized 2Fish Lockblock rubber and velcro mount like that used with helmet cameras. This is used, sometimes in pairs, on the top tube with the D lock hanging down in a U position if you get me. I should imagine that works quite well and can be cable tied to be more permanant on the top tube itself.

Vaude used to make chain and D Lock bags that sit under the saddle section of the toptube. Again, as you say it blocks waterbottle use.

I attach my Kyrptonite D lock to the seat tube but rotate the bracket, on the lock itself so that my Triangle is clear. Like this:
med_gallery_700_31_239917.jpg

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Since you asked for a "creative mounting solution", mounting the lock as a tri-bar might qualify? Unfortunately you will have to put the brackets together yourself since I don't think the patent was ever implemented.

Peter10

Although pretty cleaver, if I was a thief all I would do is remove the handlebars and away I go... :biggrin:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You could put it around your neck :tongue:

I tend to keep my lock in my bag. I often find myself lifting my bike over stiles/ up steps and such on longer rides, so the less wieght on the bike the better

Norm

I tend to keep my lock in my bag. I often find myself lifting my bike over stiles/ up steps and such on longer rides, so the less wieght on the bike the better
Do your best not to fall off and land on it.

I'm also not sure that I understand the logic of carrying it all the time rather than sticking it on the bike where you only have to carry it over stiles.

Top Bottom