Where does the ink go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Anyone using a laser printer?

I wonder if they really are cheaper to run.

Yes they are, the toner for my HP Laser printer lasts between 1.5 and 2.5 years depending on how many invoices I print.

classic33

Leg End Member
Stop the printhead in the centre, rather than allowing it to finish and end up over the cleaning heads.
Ink just soaks away, whilst not in use.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just severely limit what I print to hard copies. Provided you have an adequate periodic data backup, hard copies should rarely be needed.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have a couple of Samsung B&W laser printers. One at work and one at home. The SCX-3405W, about £95. It's a scanner and a copier too. Compared to all the faffing with inkjets, they are fantastic. The best bit is they start printing within about eight seconds of hitting the Print command. Inkjets seen to spend a fortnight thinking about it twitching doing FA. A genuine Samsung toner cartridge costs about £45 and is good for about 2000 sheets of A4 text documents. You can get generics for about a tenner but I have not tried them.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
To echo (echo...echo...echo...) what others have said, there might be an option in your printer settings to print black-only blacks. On my inkjet, the options are "high quality black" (CMYK) or "black only".
Red is added to the black to make it blacker, as strange as that may seem. Back in the day I used to be an ink mixer and you'd be surprised at how colours are sometimes made up. If ever you want a more brilliant finish to white add a tiny drop of blue.
It's also not uncommon in the print industry to print blue (cyan) under solid black to make it appear denser.
Ahaaa...that may have just answered a useless information type thing for me. I've noticed on games, where you get to choose colours for things, that the darkest black there is, is always in the red section. Either that or a freaky coincidence!
That might be science or just coincidence. TVs and monitors are additive RGB (the more colour you add, the brighter it gets) whilst printed stuff is subtractive CMYK (the more colour you add, the darker it gets).

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
To echo (echo...echo...echo...) what others have said, there might be an option in your printer settings to print black-only blacks. On my inkjet, the options are "high quality black" (CMYK) or "black only".

It's also not uncommon in the print industry to print blue (cyan) under solid black to make it appear denser.

That might be science or just coincidence. TVs and monitors are additive RGB (the more colour you add, the brighter it gets) whilst printed stuff is subtractive CMYK (the more colour you add, the darker it gets).
As I discovered when I repaired a dent in the wing of a Morris Marina. 15 coats of dark blue don't half get close to black!

andabby

Über Member
I avoid these problems by using the office printer:whistle:

Snap, even daughters homework gets stuck on a memory stick to get done here

Top Bottom