Where does this site get its information?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
I've found this page as part of the Bynea CC site: http://www.byneacc.co.uk/highway/highway.htm

If you scroll down to "Strange Laws" you'll see the second entry which caught my eye:

By Law a bicycle designed not to have reflectors (e.g. a child's Bike) may be ridden on the pavement, i.e. a racing/Time Trial bike is designed not to have reflectors.
Some of the others are quite interesting as well (especially holding your bike above your shoulders - for the Critical Massers; and building your bike exempts you from reflectors....most road bikes are illegal in this sense anyway), but where has the chap who wrote this page interpreted his information from? I can't find the appropriate text anywhere else nor the actual Law HA 1835 sect 72.

It won't make any difference for me here without any pavements, but a strange interpretation nonetheless.

You can only be classified as speeding on a bicycle if you had a speedometer fitted.

The maximum speed limit in the UK is 60MPH.

I would suspect his information as these are both patently wrong. The UK limit being 70mph and that you cannot be classified as legally speeding on a bicycle even if you have a computer, as there is no legislation governing their accuracy. You can only exceed the legal limit in a Royal Park.

According to the DVLA License form V10, a license is required to ride a bicycle or a Tricycle and engine capacity must be stated

Again this is not true, however Police RTC forms require a capacity despite making the provision for pedal cycles. The suggested capacity is 10cc.

Tetedelacourse

Thanks a bunch JRG, that's me for the rest of the day:

I'm not in lo-ove, so don't forget it. It's just a silly phase, I'm goin through (doo-da do n do n dooo).

I recently found out where they got their name from and it certainly wasn't from a Police RTC form! Filthy skippers.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
WTF

You do not need a front light when riding in the dark only a rear one.

If you live in Wales and the motorist is an old man, the chances are that his name will be Dai, then shout, "Dai Boy", I haven't seen you for a long time and also giving him a wave at the same time

For the middle picture below it should have a safety warning that riding in the gutter like that will mean you are likely to get left hooked.

round1.gif
round2.gif

round3.gif

However he states that "The maximum speed limit in the UK is 60MPH" - this is incorrect as the maximum speed limit found in the UK is 70mph.

If he had said the maximum speed limit on roads without a central reservation, or subject to another limit, is 60mph, he would be correct. He did not exclude motorways, though perhaps he was working on the assumption that as cyclists are not allowed onto motorways (apart from the ludicrous cycle lane in the HS of the A3(M)!!) people don't need to know.

dft
The National Speed Limit
The national speed limit is indicated
by a round sign showing a white
background with a diagonal black
stripe across it. For the majority of
vehicles it means 60mph on single
carriageway roads and 70mph on dual
carriageway roads (as detailed above,
some vehicles are restricted to lower
speed limits).This speed limit works on
the same principle as the 30mph speed
limit in that it is not signed apart from
where the speed limit starts. It is
predominately used along the rural
road network.Again, recognising it is
simple.Where there are no streetlights
and no signs to the contrary, the
national speed limit is in force.The
speed limit on a motorway is 70mph
unless otherwise indicated.

That's a ridiculous site. What a load of poorly spelt and punctuated, ill - informed claptrap.

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
Hehe - anybody going to admit to belonging to Bynea Cycling Club?

Isn't interpreting the law in varying ways what lawyers spend their time doing? Maybe this chap fancies himself as one...or just someone looking to spout legal sounding quotes to indignant motorists and pedestrians when he annoys them!

ejls2

"It is possible to ride in four's on a dual carriageway, a a pair in the left lane, and a pair in the right lane."

Dangerous advice!

Top Bottom