Where to find a plain Road Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ciremast

I am looking for a road bike at a £500 or below price point, but I really don't like the appearance of giant lettering and graphics across bike frames as is the norm, as I am used to my unbranded, stylish looking but heavy singlespeed.

Is there anyway to get a bike which weighs less than 10kg but looks about as plain as this Pinnacle bike pictured, all for £500?

1-IMG_08501.jpg

Last edited:

Cyclist33

Er, Pinnacle?

Drago

Legendary Member
I got a Pinnacle Dolomite and its not bad at all. I've never weighed it as that always seemed a bit pointless as I'm not a 140lb pro cyclist, but its no Lard-O. I think the Dolomite One and Two fall within your budget.

bikeman66

I am looking for a road bike at a £500 or below price point, but I really don't like the appearance of giant lettering and graphics across bike frames as is the norm, as I am used to my unbranded, stylish looking but heavy singlespeed.

Is there anyway to get a bike which weighs less than 10kg but looks about as plain as this Pinnacle bike pictured, all for £500?

1-IMG_08501.jpg
S

1-IMG_08501.jpg
I know we all have our own ideas of what looks good, but surely, at the price point you are looking at, getting the best spec you can for the money should come higher on the list of concerns than how the graphics look. I wouldn't want to ride a bike that I absolutely hated the look of, but there are a lot of bikes out there for around £500 that represent killer deals that will unfortunately, from your point of view, have very eye catching colour schemes and graphics. I suppose manufacturers tend to do this to make their cheaper models look more like their top end bikes and hence make them more desirable in a very competitive market.

I bought a Felt F95 from Merlin Cycles last year, which had a RRP of £599.00. I got it for £365.00 + £7.00 carriage. It weighs in at a respectable 9.8kg and is pretty well specced. It's a fantastic bike to ride. It also scores very well in all the reviews I have read of bikes in the entry level category. The graphics are pretty "noticeable" but not ridiculous (I got the black and green 2014 model). The graphics on the white model are still fairly bold, but perhaps a little less noticeable than mine.

If you're only looking at spending a certain amount on a bike, especially if it is at entry level, I'd go for something with the best frame and components possible, as these are the things that will make a real difference to the way it actually rides (and your potential enjoyment of it) rather than the colour scheme and graphics.

vickster

Legendary Member

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Wiggle have got a new one...someone brought it up yesterday...would be my 1st consideration for low budget....

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-claris-2015/

Edit - it comes in at 9.9kg and is stocked with claris, which is fairly similar to a Giant Defy 5...oh, and it's £399 so you'll have a spare £100 for extra's.

Verenti-Technique-Claris-2015-Road-Bikes-Colour-1-TECHNIQUE.jpg

Attachments

• Verenti-Technique-Claris-2015-Road-Bikes-Colour-1-TECHNIQUE.jpg
    Verenti-Technique-Claris-2015-Road-Bikes-Colour-1-TECHNIQUE.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Beaten to my own link. The shame!

Ha, ha, sorry....I was just blown away when I saw the spec...would definitely buy that if I was in need of a replacement.

vickster

Legendary Member
No apology required dude :okay:

I'm thinking about buying one for no real reason, the only caveat being my death at the hands of MrsRM.
Buy her a bottle of pink Lambrini and a bunch of daffs and you'll be done (I mean fine :whistle:)

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
No apology required dude :okay:

I'm thinking about buying one for no real reason, the only caveat being my death at the hands of MrsRM.

Ah, death would be the better option in my case...my other half see's me buying anything as the exact reason she should spend three or four times the amount on something I see as trivial, which then means weeks of self restraint, or weeks of arguments...sometimes both.

bikeman66

Ah, death would be the better option in my case...my other half see's me buying anything as the exact reason she should spend three or four times the amount on something I see as trivial, which then means weeks of self restraint, or weeks of arguments...sometimes both.
Hahahaha! Glad I'm not the only one who has to cover my tracks............even had to explain the purchase of a £10.00 bottom bracket from Wiggle the other day!

bikeman66

Btwin triban 500 is a boring looking bike ;) well under budget, sora, carbon fork, shouldn't be much more than 10kg with the odd upgrade (10.4 stock). Could use the £70 saving for some better wheels

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-road-bike-id_8306944.html

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-r501-wheels-49086.html

Though as others have said the bike you originally linked meets your criteria now it's reduced (can get a few pounds back if order via Quidco too)
Have to say, that does look like a lot of bike for the money!

Top Bottom