Where to find fossils

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
This might be stating the bleedin' obvious, but if you are going to Robin Hood's Bay - do check the times of the tides! When the tide is in you cannot walk along the shore at all.

I haven't been to the southern 'Jurassic Coast' but this probably applies there too.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Like this
ohmy.gif

[..youtube..]

That's spectacular. Good find.

Norm

When I was at school (and many of the things now fossilised were still breathing :biggrin: ) we went down to Barton on Sea just east of Christchurch. There was an absolutely amazing number of fossils on / below the cliffs there, I came back with ammonites, sharks' teeth, all sorts of stuff.

The beach at Watchet in Somerset is great site ------ hmmmm, at least it was, 50 years ago, when I was taken there! Still got ammonites, foliage, and "ripples" from that day so long ago - just sitting around the flat.

Aye and thumbs-up for taking the young 'un!

Doseone

Guru
If you're going to Yorkshire, the beach at Whitby is fantastic for fossils. We found loads last year, it's well known for it.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Aye and thumbs-up for taking the young 'un!

I'm finding this to be a very interesting thread !

Many thanks fellas, for all the replies - much appreciated !

And thank you for the links provided !

Of course, this idea has been devised under the guise of entertaining/educating and possibly informing :rolleyes: the young 'un. In reality, however, this is going to be a nostalgia trip for me !

I just hope that we find some fossils; and yes, I'll carefully watch for the timings of the tides.

Can't wait to get started !

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
My Brother in Law plans to take my nephew Oli (4, and obsessed with dinosaurs) on a fossil hunting day trip with this chap, down in Sussex...

http://www.discoveri...nting_trips.htm

When Oli writes his full name, the e in Oliver is drawn like an ammonite every time...

A great link, Arch !

Some of the ammonites on there are awesome ! Probably a bit far away for me; but I certainly like the idea of a guided trip out - my lad would love that !

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
+1 for Dudley. When you're done there you can take a canal trip into the limestone caverns under the town.

We'll be making a trip to Dudley, next week. It is no more than 80 - 90 minutes away. I've already been in contact with Wrens Nest National Nature Reserve and had a very speedy and helpful reply from the warden - Robert Earnshaw.

I didn't know about the limestone caverns, though; so I'll include that on our trip.

A few days later, I intend to go up to the Whitby region - weather & tides permitting.

I spent quite a bit of time ploughing through various websites on fossil hunting; at some stage, we'll probably go on an organised guided 'hunt'. That way, we should find something.

Thank you once again, for all the info. !

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm finding this to be a very interesting thread !

Many thanks fellas, for all the replies - much appreciated !

And thank you for the links provided !

Of course, this idea has been devised under the guise of entertaining/educating and possibly informing :rolleyes: the young 'un. In reality, however, this is going to be a nostalgia trip for me !

I just hope that we find some fossils; and yes, I'll carefully watch for the timings of the tides.

Can't wait to get started !

When I went back to Dorset in 2010 I went with my kids (13 and 10) and 4 others from a pals family (ranging from twins of 10 to a 14 year old).

All of them dropped their DS3's, PSP's, Blackberries, Iphones and picked up a hammer...and had a great time digging out fossils.

Its very addictive and if you can, do a little research (just to scrub up on the names of the stuff and how they got to be there) so that you can do a bit of guerrilla education on the side

Top Bottom