where to get cheapo cycling trip travel insurance?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by fairy, 29 Aug 2007.

  1. fairy

    fairy New Member

    off in a month to gran canaria to do a bit of playing on 2 wheels, need to get some insurance cover sorted out and not entirely sure what I will need? will standard travel insurance cover it?

  2. I went on one of the insurance comparison sites (probably Moneysupermarket.com or insurancesupermarket.com - wouldn't have been confused.com because their adverts are bl**dy irritating...).

    You answer a few questions re whether you want single-trip/annual cover, Europe/worldwide, single/couple/family, dates-of-birth, etc and let it find policies and prices.

    Pick a price or company you fancy, then read the small print of what the policy offers you

    Ensure it offers cover for a cycling holiday - some will class cycling as a 'hazardous activity' along with white-water rafting, scuba diving, bobsleigh, etc and might either not cover it at all, or only cover it as an activity you do for a day or so on holiday rather than being the whole point of the holiday.

    But you can get proper cover very cheaply these days - I got an annual policy for me and Mrs wrx which will cover us for a trip to Madagascar and for me to have a week cycling in the Alps for just under £40 I think.

    And check-out a European Health Insurance card, or EHIC - the replacement for the E111
    - you'd need one for Europe, expect they apply in Canary Is even though they're not-quite Spain
    - you can get one online here : http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandguidance/Healthadvicefortravellers/index.htm
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice