Where to get heart check UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Veteran
It's often advised that us oldies get a heart check before any particular big jump in excercise. Any ideas if this is something you can arrange via your GP or is it best to go private?

Have tried to Google but can't find the answer

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Call your GP and ask.
Also for blood tests ( haemoglobin, vitamin d, iron and cholesterol etc) and blood pressure tests.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My daughter's docs surgery has a machine in the reception that you can DIY for a blood pressure check.
My docs doesn't.

I'm sure Boots has a BP thingie you can use. Maybe a few Bob but might be free. Phone the in store pharmacy and ask.
A GP would be your best bet, though.

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Our GP used to do that kind of thing pre covid.

When I was forty I got an invitation that I ignored, then when I was fifty I got the, 'now that you're a coffin dodger,' letter so I gave it a go. It was that memorable though that I can't remember what they did, although I was probably fitter at fifty than I was at forty.

vickster

Legendary Member

NHS health check
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-health-check/what-is-an-nhs-health-check-new/

You can of course go private if you wish. Some employers offer at a reduced cost within their benefits too.
Friend of mine recently had a full CV work up including cardiac CT in Malaysia, cost about £500. Expect it’d be double that here though.
Bupa offer health checks as an example
https://www.bupa.co.uk/health/health-assessments/be-ahead
As do Nuffield, £839 for the full works
https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/heal...-assessment?gaCampaign=healthassessment_tiles

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Just ask your GP tho' it will not be soon if they agree. I was referred for a routine heart check [ aortic stenosis actually] 12 weeks ago but nothin yet and probably a while yet.
I also get bloods done routinely every 12 weeks for whatever they think is needed at the time.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's often advised that us oldies get a heart check before any particular big jump in excercise. Any ideas if this is something you can arrange via your GP or is it best to go private?

What's a "heart check"? Surely you're either fit or not?

If you're an "oldie" presumably you get an annual health check. I'm 67 and have done this for +/- 10 years.

Blood test does a lot of things but it does not show physical defects of the heart. An ECG detects abnormal heart rhythms while Echocardiogram (ultrasound) shows the image of the heart as blood flows thru. The first is done by a nurse and the doctors reads it while the second is done by a consultant and you can see the image as he manipulates the devices to see the heart from various angles. If you can afford it, go private as NHS is unlikely to refer unless you have an existing condition or your blood tests is out of whack or the GP can hear irregularities with his stethoscope. If you are going via NHS, at least tell the doctor that you are stepping into some rigorous exercise and like an ECG done which is quite fast. He might put you on a treadmill.

Anyway you should be having a regular blood test going forward. Every 12 weeks. You can see the results and you can aim for better results.

vickster

Legendary Member
Blood test does a lot of things but it does not show physical defects of the heart. An ECG detects abnormal heart rhythms while Echocardiogram (ultrasound) shows the image of the heart as blood flows thru. The first is done by a nurse and the doctors reads it while the second is done by a consultant and you can see the image as he manipulates the devices to see the heart from various angles. If you can afford it, go private as NHS is unlikely to refer unless you have an existing condition or your blood tests is out of whack or the GP can hear irregularities with his stethoscope. If you are going via NHS, at least tell the doctor that you are stepping into some rigorous exercise and like an ECG done which is quite fast. He might put you on a treadmill.

Anyway you should be having a regular blood test going forward. Every 12 weeks. You can see the results and you can aim for better results.

Why would you need blood tests every 12 weeks if they’re normal?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Why would you need blood tests every 12 weeks if they’re normal?

Mine are mostly normal but I have tendency to be anaemic so a check is kept on that and with only one kidney with a tumour attached they keep an eye on kidney function and also liver function as there is also a tumour there. Cholesterol levels are marginal ok but also checked as well as whatever takes their fancy.
Having written that I wonder how I am still alive and just about kicking.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine are mostly normal but I have tendency to be anaemic so a check is kept on that and with only one kidney with a tumour attached they keep an eye on kidney function and also liver function as there is also a tumour there. Cholesterol levels are marginal ok but also checked as well as whatever takes their fancy.
Having written that I wonder how I am still alive and just about kicking.

Indeed it makes sense to check if there are issues but the OP didn’t mention any health concerns

OP
OP
R

Red17

Veteran
Thanks for comments. No current health concerns but being early 60's and looking to do a cx race season which is fairly high intensity so just want to be sure I have no underlying issues.

Certainly never been offered any checks by the GP, but even booking a telephone appointment takes 2-3 weeks so not hopeful they will do anything.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for comments. No current health concerns but being early 60's and looking to do a cx race season which is fairly high intensity so just want to be sure I have no underlying issues.

Certainly never been offered any checks by the GP, but even booking a telephone appointment takes 2-3 weeks so not hopeful they will do anything.

The link I posted tells you how to get one if your practice offers. It’ll be done by a nurse not GP so could be quicker

Top Bottom