Where to go 1 week off work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jnrmczip

So tomorrow is the start of one whole full week off from work. I am delighted to say the least. Anyway I'll cut to the chase I'm in Glasgow and plan on doing a lot of cycling while I'm off.

Has anyone any suggestions on places to go things to see and so on not in Glasgow but a good cycle away so that not only am I cycling but getting reach some decent destinations for some views etc

stephec

Legendary Member
What are you after after, road or mtb, flat or hilly, and what kind of time or distance are you looking at?

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

Road bike and time distance aren't really the issue just enjoy being out on the bike so any distance and time are suitable

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

I hope the borders don't get closed as I'm planning the lejog for next year it may cause more planning which is a pain

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

Set yourself a goal of cycling 100 miles a day. At least by the end of the week you will be 700 miles away from Glasgow.
I actually like Glasgow but does sound like a nice plan

Brandane

Legendary Member
Where to start?
The cycle path to Greenock/Gourock.
The cycle path to Dumbarton/Loch Lomond.
Erskine Bridge, cross the bridge then return on other side of river, do this either direction.
Path to Kilmacolm, Loch Thom, Largs.
The old A77 to Kilmarnock/Ayr.
The old A74 (now B7078?) south to Moffat.
Castlemilk, Carmunnock, East Kilbride, Eaglesham......

The list is endless!

Buy an SPT travel scratchcard. This gives a day of unlimited (after 9am) travel on trains within Strathclyde Passenger Transport area. It means you can combine parts of these routes and countless others, all for less than £12.

OP
OP
jnrmczip

jnrmczip

Where to start?
The cycle path to Greenock/Gourock.
The cycle path to Dumbarton/Loch Lomond.
Erskine Bridge, cross the bridge then return on other side of river, do this either direction.
Path to Kilmacolm, Loch Thom, Largs.
The old A77 to Kilmarnock/Ayr.
The old A74 (now B7078?) south to Moffat.
Castlemilk, Carmunnock, East Kilbride, Eaglesham......

The list is endless!

Buy an SPT travel scratchcard. This gives a day of unlimited (after 9am) travel on trains within Strathclyde Passenger Transport area. It means you can combine parts of these routes and countless others, all for less than £12.
Thanks for the help I think I'll take the Greenock one first are the cycle paths any good for road bikes ?

Brandane

Legendary Member
As Mike says, Arran. For more leisurely cycling, Bute, or even Cumbrae.

A nice one from Glasgow is ride to Gourock, take the wee boat to Kilcreggan, ride to Helensburgh, or better still over the hill to Loch Lomond. Then you can either cycle back to Glasgow or take a train since you are following the line anyway.

Top Bottom