Where to go mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I dont get much time to do it these days but when I lived in Hereford I used to just ride loops from home. Over the course of a year I explored every lane, bridleway and footpath within a 15 mile radius. With the aid of a Landranger map its a great way to discover the local countryside.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
mickle said:
I dont get much time to do it these days but when I lived in Hereford I used to just ride loops from home. Over the course of a year I explored every lane, bridleway and footpath within a 15 mile radius. With the aid of a Landranger map its a great way to discover the local countryside.
Landranger maps (1:50,000) are great for road riding but I'd recommend 1:25,000 maps for mountain biking. It's difficult to see all the detail you'd want for serious off-roading at Landranger scale.

I managed to get lost in the Highlands using a Landranger map for a spot of MTB exploration. Carrying and pushing a mountain bike for 5 hours across a peat bog wasn't much fun :rolleyes: Mind you, I wouldn't have thought that there are many huge peat bogs near Glastonbury...

bonj2

ColinJ said:
Landranger maps (1:50,000) are great for road riding but I'd recommend 1:25,000 maps for mountain biking. It's difficult to see all the detail you'd want for serious off-roading at Landranger scale.

I managed to get lost in the Highlands using a Landranger map for a spot of MTB exploration. Carrying and pushing a mountain bike for 5 hours across a peat bog wasn't much fun :biggrin: Mind you, I wouldn't have thought that there are many huge peat bogs near Glastonbury...

you don't need ordnance survey maps at all for road riding - just use an A-Z! or better still go on google maps before you set off and remember it

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
bonj said:
you don't need ordnance survey maps at all for road riding - just use an A-Z! or better still go on google maps before you set off and remember it
Well for a start I suppose it depends on whether you mind encountering unexpected steep hills on your rides - you can't spot a 25% gradient in an A-Z.

If I used an A-Z for a route to Burnley from here, I'd take the short route which is over some very steep hills rather than the easier valley roads.

Hmm - that's a bad example because (a) I wouldn't volunteer to ride to Burnley and (:biggrin: If I did ride there I would take the scenic hilly route!

U

User482

There's good riding in the Mendips and the Quantocks, both of which are near to Glastonbury. Buy a 1:25000 map for Cheddar - there's loads of Bridleways around Cheddar, Rowberrow Warren & Black Down.

OP
OP
S
RedBike said:
hehe
My only experience of Glastonbury is of a huge swamp!

did you go to the festival this last year, from what I heard and saw it was a bog !!!!

surfgurl

Thanks for the tip on the bridleway on the south side of Cheddar Gorge. I've just dug out my OS map and found the path. I shall hit that very soon.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Exmoor looks pretty good. But to really test yourself hop over the border into Wales where there is thousands of miles of Forest and mountain road and purpose built mountain trails.
Multi Maps is and invaluable resource for discovering mtb routes.

Iceniner

Im also from Glastonbury and if memory serves me correctly there is a small bike shop in Wells that is around the back of the bus stop there as you head towards the town. You could pop in their and ask them if they know other places too.

Top Bottom