Where to go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
I have two weeks in August to travel with my bike. I usually go to France. I prefer to travel by train or ferry but will bag up the bike and fly if you can tempt me with any of your suggestions. I am likely to credit card tour this year so no camping. Happy to do 80km-100km a day. Considering the same start/end point so a loop not an A to B but that's not set in stone. I'm pretty flexible and reasonably anti-social! Personal circumstances mean the main objective is some peace, relax, reflection and headspace time.

Any ideas?

Excited for any suggestions ...........

Thanks.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Fly to Nimes with Ryanair, and from there, you explore lots of places, real mountains and gorges. Alternatively, fly to Dinard in Normandy, and there again, many places to explore, both in Normandy and Brittany. Good luck.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Fly to Bordeaux or Toulouse with BA (likely to be cheaper than Ryanair who will charge more for your bike than they will for YOU; BA will take it free if you can keep it within your 23kg allowance) - from there ride back to the channel by any route of your choosing, and take a Brittany Ferry back to a GB port.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Or take Eurostar to Avignon, ignore Mont Ventoux, and head up through Provence towards Vercors, and then loop either clockwise via some bigger Alps & maybe a bit of Italy (co.l de la Bonette, if you like big hills), or anticlockwise via the Ardèche.

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
Or take Eurostar to Avignon, ignore Mont Ventoux, and head up through Provence towards Vercors, and then loop either clockwise via some bigger Alps & maybe a bit of Italy (co.l de la Bonette, if you like big hills), or anticlockwise via the Ardèche.
Can you take the bike to Avignon on Eurostar?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Outer Hebrides for me, especially this year when reasonable weather is almost certain. For me the most beautiful part of the UK, peaceful, take it or leave it approach to tourism, lovely people, great road surfaces and stunning riding. Just be prepared for accommodation being a question of take whatever you can find.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Outer Hebrides for me, especially this year when reasonable weather is almost certain. For me the most beautiful part of the UK, peaceful, take it or leave it approach to tourism, lovely people, great road surfaces and stunning riding. Just be prepared for accommodation being a question of take whatever you can find.
July & August are the worst times of the year to go to the Outer isles as the weather tends to be wetter (they are not getting the heatwave that southern England is getting!), midges are awful if you camp and it is hard to get accommodation as it is peak tourist time. Best done in May, June or September

MarkF

Guru
Bilbao/Santander to Malaga, easy to get back from, hot, so you can take minimal clothing as your wet stuff takes minutes to dry, very quiet roads, spectacular scenery and rooms as cheap as camping. :okay:

Top Bottom