Where to go...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isaac

Hello all
I had a 3 day trip cycling the trans pennine trail on my mountain bike a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I now want to get a road bike and try a longer trip on roads. I was thinking of doing 2 or 3 weeks, probably cycling all on roads going light weight on a racing bike.
Does anyone have any suggestions for destinations?
I was thinking of setting off from London and seeing how far I could get into the continent, or possibly flying somewhere more interesting.

Anthony

You could cycle from London to Portsmouth catch a ferry to France and cycle down to the Med and fly back from somewhere like Montpellier. France is a good country for novice tourers (cycle friendly, good climate, lots of towns and places to camp, great scenery, etc).

Or I think doing LeJog would be a good first tour.

Crankarm

Guru
isaac said:
Hello all
I had a 3 day trip cycling the trans pennine trail on my mountain bike a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I now want to get a road bike and try a longer trip on roads. I was thinking of doing 2 or 3 weeks, probably cycling all on roads going light weight on a racing bike.
Does anyone have any suggestions for destinations?
I was thinking of setting off from London and seeing how far I could get into the continent, or possibly flying somewhere more interesting.

Welcome Issac. If you could be a little more specific about your abilities, expectations and where you are based that would be a help to help us suggest possibilities for you. Alternatively just get on your bike and ride.

OP
OP
I

isaac

Well I dont have any previous touring experience. The closest experience I have is a three day trip over the trans pennine trail on my mountain bike doing 80 miles a day carrying a small rucksack and staying in bed and breakfasts. I found that this was mileage slightly challenging but quite do able.

I have now just joined a triathalon club and am purchasing a racing bike on the bike to work scheme at the end of the month. So I thought that taking my bike on a short tour would be good fun and a good way of improving my cycling fitness.

Im looking for an on road tour staying in guest houses so that all Im carrying is a large saddle bag. I would like to try a tour that is quite challenging, with a reasonably high mileage each day (althought at the moment im not sure what a high mileage is). And finally im based in Wimbledon. Hope the extra info helps.

Brains

Legendary Member
I'd start with the C2C as a 1st tour
2-5 days, Whitehaven (Cumbria) to Sunderland

It's a (quiet) road tour with several "challenging" hills

There is also the "Rivers Route" which has the same start/finish, but goes to the north and is mostly off road

Both are geared up to be done as B&B tours

Google is your friend

rich p

ridiculous old lush
2 to 3 weeks isn't a short tour!

The point is that you can go where you want. Nobody can tell you really. If you want to go to France - go to France. If you want to take a plane, then there is no limit. You've got to choose a destination and your method of getting there and you'll find a plethora of advice and opinion on here.
You need to give us a bit more to work with!

The only thing I would say is that many people have a desire to travel light and fast on a road bike but that doesn't necessarily make it the most fun. No clean clothes, no luxuries, uncomfortable ride day after day, no time to appreciate your surroundings - just a thought.

hubbike

Hubbike's first rule of cycle touring: if in doubt, seek the mountains out.

Scottish highlands, west coast of norway, french alps, dolimites, northern spain, iceland?

Short is a subjective word. I'd consider 2 or 3 weeks a short tour. Light and fast is a fine style as long as you have lots of money.

Arch

Married to Night Train
hubbike said:
Hubbike's first rule of cycle touring: if in doubt, seek the mountains out.

Arch's first rule of cycle touring: If in doubt, look for the flat bits....:rofl:

Otherwise, I can't really help. In your position, I'd probably get over the channel and then just see where I ended up each day - it's something I'd like to do one day, only over a few months.

Top Bottom