Where to learn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Try-2-athlon

Hello!

Ok, heads up, I'm not a "cyclist" i'm an amateur triathlete and cycling is my weakest discipline (shame as it's the longest stint).
I really want to learn how to do my own bike maintenance. Right now I can change a tyre and even that's a fight (small female not got any brute strength) I'm looking for an intensive course in the UK to try and learn how to do as much as I can myself without running to a bike shop (brakes, gears etc). I've found some courses looking online, but most don't have any dates available - don't know if this is covid related. Can anyone recommend anything?

(To complicate matters, I live in Europe, so I'm looking for something intensive ie; several days in a row, rather than one day a week) (Also don't have any competent friend who can teach me).

Thanks

Drago

Legendary Member
Set up your laptop on your workbench and find this website called Youtube. Rammed full ormcycle maintenance and repair guide videos, and its free.

vickster

Legendary Member
Where in the UK? Limited availability is probably due to Covid and social distancing but also that bike shops and mechanics are mostly super busy.
is there nothing available in the country where you do live?
is there no one in your tri club who could show you the basics?

Look for Park tools guides on YouTube maybe?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
T

Try-2-athlon

Set up your laptop on your workbench and find this website called Youtube. Rammed full ormcycle maintenance and repair guide videos, and its free.

Hmm, whilst that sounds great in theory, it assumes that i have enough of a clue to know what I need to do in the first place. Sounds like a recipe for heading to the bike shop with a big mess for them to sort out!

OP
OP
T

Try-2-athlon

Where in the UK? Limited availability is probably due to Covid and social distancing but also that bike shops and mechanics are mostly super busy.

Anywhere in the UK would be fine. Probably something in Switzerland, but I'd much rather learn in English.

DRM

Guru

Says she’s in Europe, as suggested go on you tube and watch Park Tool, they’re the gold standard of bike repair instruction videos, explained very clearly for those with with no mechanical/engineering knowledge, by Calvin & Truman.
https://www.youtube.com/user/parktoolcompany
also consider buying their Big Blue Book of Bike Repair, it’s very good.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
T

Try-2-athlon

Says she’s in Europe, as suggested go on you tube and watch Park Tool, they’re the gold standard of bike repair instruction videos, explained very clearly for those with with no mechanical/engineering knowledge, by Calvin & Truman.
https://www.youtube.com/user/parktoolcompany

Thanks, I'll take a look. GCN's YouTube channel also looks helpful. Bit wary of just having a go myself via YouTube though, with no-one on hand to correct the mess I'll no doubt make of it.

+1 to this.
OP - I'd buy that and start tinkering/doing jobs as you need to.
Far cheaper.
Spend the money saved on quality tools.
If you are anything like me, stuff never sticks in my head from courses.
I learn best by consulting the book and doing.
After years and years I still do stuff with the book to hand.
The Park youtube stuff is good as a back-up/to familiarise yourself with stuff, but I prefer the book - if your hands aren't greasy/mucky you aren't doing it right.;

Top Bottom