Where to Park in Brum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manifietso

On Saturday, I was changing between Moor St & New St and wanted to pop into the Bull Ring briefly.

Noting there were no racks outside the small entrance opposite Moor St, I went left, round the minstrels, still nothing, then thought I'd dive into the underground car park. I know it said no pedestrians, but I wasn't a pedestrian and they hadn't catered for me so far.

Parked by the lifts, then proceeded to New St for train home.

Emailed Bull Ring, asked them where I should have parked, was told outside St Martin's church between the two Italians or outside Boots opposite New St sta.

From Google satellite, it looks like there are about 10 racks in the former, couldn't see any on the latter, but they must be there.

I'd guess 30 spaces max, compared to 3000 parking spaces. And they wonder why Birmingham has such a low cycling rate?

Anyone care to guess how many cycle spaces New St station has?

OP
OP
Manifietso

Manifietso

I just won't bother next time.

New St has 26 parking spaces. Now I know we can't turn in to Groningen overnight, but if Birmingham did do that pro-rata, there would be 100,000 spaces!

There must be some guidelines about how many spaces stores, supermarkets, shopping centres and stations should provide, because at the moment the usual provision falls so short of requirements so many times. This should be a really easy win too and hopefully no arguments about painting lines on pavements or whatever - just get on and provide the racks!

Top Bottom