Where to start with this 1960 Elswick Light Roadster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran
@avecReynolds531 it will ride fine have a look for a thread I started called a Gentleman's Rudge
Thanks, that was excellent. Similar colour too.

I haven't seen another Elswick roadster in this maroon colour - plenty of black and green examples. Wondering if this was a fashion thing, or maybe the company didn't offer the maroon option as much as the black or green?

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Do CC readers have any recommendations for tyres in this 26 x 1 3/8 size?

Any ideas or previous experience on how this Elswick will ride? The geometry looks pretty relaxed & I doubt the tubing is fragile.

For tyres, I highly rate Schwalbe Marathon Greenguards, which come either with or without the reflective stripe on the sidewall. Mine happen to have the stripe simply because they were available on special offer for £14 a tyre, which was too cheap to refuse. The plain black ones look a bit more "vintage". I don't like getting punctures, and rear wheel punctures are a real pain on a roadster with a fully enclosed chaincase like my rod braked Raleigh.
The bike is likely to have a solidly built feel, but be very stable and comfortable. It won't feel exciting to ride and it won't want to quickly change direction like a short wheelbase road bike does. Strictly a bike for relaxed leisure and utility rides where the average speed is of no consequence.

OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran
For tyres, I highly rate Schwalbe Marathon Greenguards, which come either with or without the reflective stripe on the sidewall. Mine happen to have the stripe simply because they were available on special offer for £14 a tyre, which was too cheap to refuse. The plain black ones look a bit more "vintage". I don't like getting punctures, and rear wheel punctures are a real pain on a roadster with a fully enclosed chaincase like my rod braked Raleigh.
The bike is likely to have a solidly built feel, but be very stable and comfortable. It won't feel exciting to ride and it won't want to quickly change direction like a short wheelbase road bike does. Strictly a bike for relaxed leisure and utility rides where the average speed is of no consequence.
Thanks, SkipdiverJohn - that's very useful.
Our everyday bikes for hacking/ commuting/ touring have been on Marathon Plus for many years - willing to sacrifice some ride quality for peace of mind.
I'd forgotten the added complications for hub geared rear wheel punctures.
The description of how it will likely be out on the roads is appreciated - maybe a little like the old Peugeot PE 41 that I had & stupidly gave away.
I'll be interested to find out how the smaller wheels will affect acceleration and handling.
Will update when there is progress.

OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran

As a ps to this thread, this beautiful old bike is on it's way to a new home soon. :smile:

Mandobob

Thanks SkipdiverJohn, appreciated. Detailed & informative. The first thing I checked with the 531 was the seat post & stem - thankfully they were ok. I'll get the Elswick checked likewise asap.

Further down the line, I'm not looking forward to renewing the memory of the horrors of cotter pins!

Do CC readers have any recommendations for tyres in this 26 x 1 3/8 size?

Any ideas or previous experience on how this Elswick will ride? The geometry looks pretty relaxed & I doubt the tubing is fragile.
How is this project going? Have you had time to get it under way? It would be good to see some interim progress.

Top Bottom