Where to start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Chris, I'm fairly local to you (Live in Ashington but commute to Wallsend 2 days a week by bike). if the shop you went to is Whiptail which I presume it is, you wont go far wrong. They have an excellent reputation and I'm sure will be happy to help with any queries you have.
The Wagonways are a really good place to cycle around and get a feeling for your bike - think theres around 40 odd miles of them - North Tyneside Council have free maps that you can request which feature all the cycle lanes in the area - give them a bell and they will send a map out. It's a great way of exploring the area and I guarantee you will find places you never knew existed no matter how long you have been living here :-)

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Unless the rack fitted is causing issues for your wife like getting on or off, it's perfectly fine as is.
If you decide to go touring or something then a better rack would be a good idea but as it is, it's not a priority.
Welcome to world of cycling :smile:

Ratchet Cat

Veteran
Hi there. Both bikes look good as starter bikes and beyond with a bit of tlc.
I would find out how to re-grease the headset and hub bearings and bottom bracket bearings.
Sorry if I'm using jargon but you will be able to find a picture of a bike with the parts named on the internet.
Or buy the Haynes Bike book for reference.

Get the brakes and gears set up, oil the chain and you are good to go.
Replace the worn out tyres and fit new inner tubes.

I'd agree with the comments further up the thread to look on YouTube or find a local mechanic.
There must be some one local who could help you out.

Both bikes are much better than the cheap mountain bikes most people buy.

Isn't there a Cycle Chat member on here who could help you out?!!

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

Well thank you for the replies and sorry for being missing for a couple of weeks, man flu hit and been quite poorly.

Before the flu hit manged a couple of rides on my fixed up bike and wow what a difference, the new tires really made a massive difference and of course having brakes that work is a bonus!

Did my longest ride yet, went from North shields along the coast to Bedlington and back ended up being just short of 35 miles, found it very hard as the weather changed and ended up going up hill against the wind and rain, was quite sore for a few days but was pleased as punched to have managed it.

Now realized I really need better clothing, jeans and coat wont cut it for long distance, so any advice on that aspect what be helpful.

Also as i never learnt to drive, I have found road riding to be a bit on the scary side as i am not used to being on the roads, think I need some training for mine and other peoples safety, but overall really happy and enjoying the freedom of my bike and just a shame the last weeks been too poorly to get out and about as much as I would like.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Well done!
Clothing is a tricky one to answer as different people have different tastes.
Lycra is one option. It's light, stretchy, dries fast and doesn't flap about in the wind when wet and soggy.
During the colder months, you have the option of fleece lined leggings and they really do work wonders. With lycra you also have the benefit of padded shorts and leggings. The jerseys usually have 2 or 3 rear pockets for stuffing things into...phone, wallet etc.
Aldi often has good deals on their clothing ranges and the waterproof coats are usually pretty good.
Decathlon have their cycle stuff selling all year round and even the basic shorts costing £6.00 and fleece leggings going for £20 are pretty good. I use it myself :smile:If you can get over the fact that pretty much everyone looks absolutely ridiculous in lycra and you don't mind joining us other fashion queens, then I cant think of a better material to cycle in.
If not, lightweight trousers, long johns if cold and waterproof trousers are all perfectly comfy to ride in. Serveral layers of thin tshirts are better than one thick tshirt and the same goes for other tops, jumpers etc.
A lightweight raincoat will keep the wind out and to some extent, keep you dry. If it's not well ventilated, then you'll get hot, you'll sweat and you'll end up wet anyway :smile:
Basically, what you absolutely don't want to be wearing is anything bulky and heavy.

Spend a few quid. Literally just a few quid. Shopping list:

4 pairs of new brake blocks. 2 for each bike (front and back)

Some cleaning and lubricating products. You could spend a fortune here but no need. Wilko does a Teflon spray lube that I find works excellent for gears and chain.

Something hi viz if you intend to ride in the dark or wet. Halford do a cycling jacket for 20 quid or hi viz vests are less than a fiver.

Some lights. As a minimum, various supermarkets sell them for a fiver a pair.

Helmets, I wouldn't spend a fortune on them. Mine was less than a tenner. If you buy it in the UK its almost certainly going to comply with British standards.

Overall, if you can stop when you need to, are reasonably comfortable, and are visible, then all is good.

Last edited by a moderator:

tom73

Guru
@Vantage sum's up well what to wear and how to start. If you off to the shops or just a short ride than basic walking gear is fine. You may find it's fine for you all round and happy to stick with it.

Wiggle (dhb) own brand cycle gear is not too bad either. You may find as the mile's build up cheeper gear won't cut it. I did and I'm building up a mix of gear as I go along, as I need it and when the offers come along but then again I've become a bit of bike tart. ;)

Really what gear you wear is a personal thing many go lycra route and many don't.

As for road safety and cycling get hold of a copy of Cyclecraft (can be picked up cheep on resell sites) Also see what bike training is around locally local bike shop or council website may know of some.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Regular clothing is okay, except for jeans, as they have heavy seams that can make for problems when in contact with the saddle. Jeans were invented so gold miners could pan for gold in durable clothes, but cycling has more of a gold spending than gold mining slant. I usually wear khakis or chinos, or hiking shorts in summer, and a regular shirt, often a western shirt, in the States such shirts are usually light, breathable, and have snaps instead of buttons. It has worked out pretty well as a low key cycling outfit for the last number of years for me.

I usually wear khakis or chinos, or hiking shorts in summer,
I agree with what you said about jeans. Not very comfortable riding in them.

I also don't use dedicated cycling gear. Well I have a cycling jacket mostly for its light weight hi vis attributes. But for bottom half, for me it's cheap jogging bottoms stuffed into my socks so they don't get snagged in the chain. I guess if I was serious enough that aerodynamic properties were important, I'd probably go for lycra, but let's face it. Overweight middle aged sweaty men in skin tight lycra is not something innocent bystanders should have to see lol.

Last edited:

wbmkk

Veteran
Welcome to the forum.
I live nearby, in Whitley Bay. I also ride an old Raleigh racer.
Good luck in your new cycling venture

Hi and :welcome:.
You have managed to buy two good oldish bikes which should last you for years. They should be easy to maintain once you have gained a bit of experience and should be easy to source spare parts for.
You should gain more confidence and experience as you progress and willing helpers on here if you need it.
Good luck with your future rides.

Trialot

Bikes of that vintage can be little gems. Take it your local bike store for an assessment (most will do one for free). Depending on their condition, expect to pay a few quid to get them back in order!!!

Top Bottom