Where to start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Agree with Ticktockmy. I've only had a puncture once. It was on a towpath, 40 minutes walk from anywhere convenient, almost exactly halfway through my journey.

The law of sod cannot be beaten!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Agree with Ticktockmy. I've only had a puncture once. It was on a towpath, 40 minutes walk from anywhere convenient, almost exactly halfway through my journey.

The law of sod cannot be beaten!
I have to also agree with this. In the 8yrs I have been commuting by bike the majority of the punctures I have had on the 10 mile each way trip have strangely resulted in flat tyres at almost exactly the halfway point! There have been a few odd ones at different places and the remainder have been discovered as flat tyres the next trip. This might make it sound like they are a frequent occurrence but in reality it is only 2-3 times a year which isn't bad considering the distance I cover, the places I ride and the fact I don't use heavily armoured, super duper penetration resistant tyres.

What we are trying to say is don't fear the puncture. Be prepared and practice before the event. This way you can usually be back on your way in around10 minutes, it isn't a show stopper.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I got my track pump from wiggle/ CRC that was cheap enough.Once you have a collection of basic tools you can do most of the maintenance and repairs yourself,you tube is really handy.
I just built up a bike from a frame all it had was the headset,the rest I either used spares or what a mate gave me to give a bike for £32 most of the cost was for the lbs getting the bottom bracket out and the cost of a new one.

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

Thanks again everyone for your fantastic advice.

My wife brought her bike home from her friends, so I took a quick photo and wonder if you guys could tell me a little bit about the bike, if its a good solid bike for a beginner or not?
Its a Dawes Street lite, it seems in really good condition everything seems to work fine apart from the plastic mud guards are brittle, one has already broken off.

I will be taking it in for a once over at our local bike shop and get it a service though.

DSC_0048.JPG

Any info on the bike would be great thanks so much!

tom73

Guru
Look's to be just fine to me. Once it's had the once over , a bit of clean up and maybe a bit of bling ;) should be just right for her. If the mud guards are brittle then best to remove them and start a fresh save any damage later to her or the bike. The rear rack look's a bit out of place not sure it's the right size for the bike. How's it fixed on ? Normal they have some way of fixing to the frame mounts (the holes at the bottom of the frame)

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

Look's to be just fine to me. Once it's had the once over , a bit of clean up and maybe a bit of bling ;) should be just right for her. If the mud guards are brittle then best to remove them and start a fresh save any damage later to her or the bike. The rear rack look's a bit out of place not sure it's the right size for the bike. How's it fixed on ? Normal they have some way of fixing to the frame mounts (the holes at the bottom of the frame)

This is the rack, it came with a bag that attaches to it, here are some better photos.

It attaches to just under the saddle.

DSC_0048.JPG
DSC_0051.JPG

tom73

Guru
@chrismisterx Right I did think it was something like that just not clear from picture. A regular one maybe better they are not too difficult to fit and don't cost too much should be able to reuse the bag too.

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

tom73

Guru
yes like the one @alicat say's. Just need to check the fit for wheel size. Has the frame got eyelets on the back above the brake?
Bag should fit most racks. Mrs 73's bag did not come with the rack but straps on just fine.

Before going for your next "Long Ride" I would purchase a small pump and puncture kit (poundland pumps work ok), and practise at home, removing and replacing and repairing the punture in the inner tube. because sods law says that the puncture fairy will strike at the furthest point from home.

Today I paid the penalty for mentioning the P***** Fairy, happely heading home along the Forest way, after lunch with some friends, when Bang..Psssss . what to say I can only repent for mentioning that name and grovel for forgivness. A quick search to find the offending flint, in with a new inner tube, and we were on our way not my quickest repair but it is what it is.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think both your bikes look great for starting. The Raleigh is much like the one I use for touring, although mine has an aluminum main triangle, as American Raleighs were aluminum bonded with steel headtube and stays. They are fine durable bicycles. A better rack will be useful for the Dawes. There is a fellow on Youtube called RJ The Bike Guy, who knows about and covers all aspects of bicycle repair and upgrades.
https://www.youtube.com/user/shyflirt1

8mph

Veteran
Hi chrismisterx , I get a lot of my parts and work done very cheap at a bike workshop. It's unlike a traditional bike shop in that I can watch the work being done or pay for supervision and do it myself, they have loads of cheap second-hand parts too. maybe you could look online and see if there is anything like that going on round your way. I bought a saddle bag, lights, bottle cage and rack for £5 at mine.

Top Bottom