Where to start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ever since time, I've done my own training routines because I've done things such as trials biking and general commuting. But now I've turned to road biking I want to do things properly. I'd like a training routine that I can stick to and would help keep me motivated, but I've no idea where to start in making one and don't know in the steel frame bike I'm using will put limitations on this.

Any advice on improving fitness and creating a routine would be appreciated.

lukesdad

The only limitations will be governed by you, not your frame.

darkstar

Well you need to asses what your goals are first. Long distance rides? Time Trial? Touring? That will be the major thing which will affect your training. As for your bike frame, it won't make a jot of difference!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Get hold of The Cyclists training bible by Joe Friel, you should be able to get a cheap copy or borrow from library or something, its a popular book. Even if you dont agree with his actual training techniques etc he puts training into context in writting far better than anyone else Ive come across.

In short,

a) choose a goal (a realstic, attainable but not to easy to acheive goal), what do you want to do? Race Time Trials, Race Crits, Long road races, touring, general fitness?
:laugh: find out how many hours per week you have to train
c) choose your races or events and rank them with A being main priority, B being others etc
d) find your current fitness status
e) identify your strengths and weaknesses
f) identify which of these weaknesses will limit you in attaining your goal
assess how these can be improved
g) Do the work to improve your weaknesses, while paying attention not to neglect your strengths.

A steel frame wont make much difference until you are at the point of gleaning every little advantage possible

montage

God Almighty
What stage are you at at the moment?
If you have cycled for a while, then just remember the basics to begin with.
1 rest day minimum per week
1 recovary ride minimum per week.
Then tailor the rest of your rides to your goals - if you have no goals and just want to get fitter in general then:

1 x sprint/power training
1 x recovary ride or rest day
1 x interval training i.e. 20:20s
1 x recovary ride
1 x long ride
1 x rest day

Obviously there are floors with that plan as it will never be specific to you - but it is just a rough idea

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you are new to cycling (unless you have good fitness from another sport) you may want to avoid interval training and power work and all the more technical workouts until you build up your base fitness so you don't over fatigue yourself, I.e just get the miles in, don't worry to much about specifics.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Go talk to your local cycle-club and see if they have a training night that might be suitable for you to participate in. There's no doubt that riding/training with others will bring you along faster than training alone.

Oh, and welcome!

I'm in a similar situation and I've been using my new HRM (Polar FT80) to help me get up to some sort of fitness over the last couple of months. So far so good as far as general weight loss and improving my cycling ability goes but I wanted just a wee bit more. So I programmed a cycling training routine in for the next 4 weeks to see how I go from there.
Here's the thing-the Polar website has given me (this week) 3 training rides to do with a 3 (and a bit) hour/1200 calorie target involving an interval ride, a medium ride of about an hour and a weekend ride of an hour and a half. I have hit a problem straight away as I'm not too sure about interval training 'on the road'. So I cheated a bit tonight to see how spinning at the gym would go. It was a bit of a failure to be honest. I was meant to warm up then 7 minutes in HR Zone 2 (116-131 bpm) and 3 in Zone 3 (132+) x 4 (making a 40 minute workout plus warm up/cool down time
Zone 2 wasn't a problem but getting into Zone 3 took an age so that one interval that should last 10 minutes could take 12-13 minutes. I was glad I used the gym because I really don't know how I would go about this in traffic or even on a cycle path. To be honest, I only did two lots on the cycle as it got a bit tedious and did the rest of the session on the treadmill as it was easier to raise my HR on there.
Any suggestions?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
TheBoyBilly said:
Any suggestions?

See post #7
Riding buddies are the best way to stay motivated, push yourself and prevent training boredom. Watching a Polar HRM on a Turbo-trainer might work, but it's no fun.

Alternatively, book into the local spinning class.

jimboalee

+1 on Fab Foodie.

Join a club.

Go on the short slow ride. If that's easy, go on the longer faster ride.

If that's easy, go on the even longer, even faster ride.

Chat to the other members.

If you show promise, the members will tell you.

Thank you Fab Foodie and Jimbo, joining a club is something I was considering but not just yet as I am in the throes of moving over to Ashford (hopefully not too long now) I have checked out the San Fairy Ann CC in Maidstone which may just be the one for me.
Thanks again,

Bill

It's been a while since I have done long rides, I learnt trials last year. My bikes nearly ready so I'll be going out some time this week, I've been looking for routes near where I leave, but found nothing, so I'm going to use one I've seen a few people doing recently. I'll see where I can go from there.

Thanks all.

Ok, Just got back, I did around 15-20 minutes of riding. I got atleast 15-20 mph on straight road without any problems, hills are an issue as is riding positions.

So I've decided that I'm going to do the same route and increase the amount of time I do it every day until it's fairly easy for me, then extend it and find others. I do need a cycle computer though.

With regards to riding positions, am I meant to be right into the drops all the time? Because I found it hella hard on hills.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
iAmiAdam said:
Ok, Just got back, I did around 15-20 minutes of riding. I got atleast 15-20 mph on straight road without any problems, hills are an issue as is riding positions.

So I've decided that I'm going to do the same route and increase the amount of time I do it every day until it's fairly easy for me, then extend it and find others. I do need a cycle computer though.

With regards to riding positions, am I meant to be right into the drops all the time? Because I found it hella hard on hills.

No you dont need to be in the drops at all times, they are there to be used when you want/require, just because they are there doesnt mean you have to use them all the time :smile: especially when you are at low speed, the drops are hardly beneficial and actually quite unsteady. Get on the hoods when you cant take the drops any more or are struggling on a climb.

Top Bottom