where would you live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

I spent 2yrs of my life travelling to london and how the hell anyone can like it is beyond me !

Its outrageously dirty, polluted, ignorant people, expensive, ok some are ok - but culture ~ christ me pull the other one;

I know of some bloke who used to live down Kent way loved it the London thing..etc.. then got sent via his company up north as thats where he was needed as a northern contact.

Now he totally loves it wouldnt dare move down ever south even thought you can tell a millenium away that he is a londoner and has a house in the country that he could only dream about !

To anyone in London - your conning yourself stupid to live in London and by god I hope you realise that for yourself SOONER rather than later.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Wrong!!

London has its faults, absolutely, but it's the most amazing, vibrant, fabulous city in the world! Travelling there for work when you don't know your way around, everything is overwhelming and alientating is not the same as finding your place, learning how it works and falling in love with the endless possibilities available to you. London rocks!

yenrod

This is turning out to be a good scrap: North v South v West :biggrin: 'aint it...

Anyone else before we close the (boxing) ring :biggrin: :ohmy:

spen666

Legendary Member
got-to-get-fit said:
i moved from bang in the middle of the lake district to Yarm in Cleveland which is nrth Yorkshire bout 35 miles from York. ...

Aren't North Yorks and Cleveland separate counties?:ohmy::?::biggrin:

As a Scot living in the deep south, here is my tuppence worth.

Leeds, great scenery and countryside, loads of hills nearby. You will find nice people wherever you go in this country.

The main issue is the weather, down south is noticably, consistently warmer and drier than Leeds.

If weather is not an issue, go......

Go and freeez your b****cks off in the god forsaken corner of the universe that is Leeds.

And don't get me started on the Leeds traffic system where you can see your destination on the other side of the road and then spend another hour driving round trying to get into it!!!

Big Bren

I'm a Yorkshireman born and bred but I've lived and worked all over the place, including London, which did nothing for me. I found it an overpriced, unpleasant, up its own arse, crowded grothole, full of people who convince themselves on a daily basis that they're part of something that doesn't actually exist. It takes more than a few clocks and bridges to impress northern folk, ah'll tell thee.

Start working out what you want from where you live. If you're young, free and single for example, Harrogate might not be the ideal choice. There are parts of Leeds that might be a better fit, putting you close to city life, but retaining access to Yorkshires amazing green spaces, as described by others.

Buy a copy of Stuart Maconies 'Pies and Prejudice - in search of the North' asap - great laugh and very informative.

Good luck - you'll love Yorkshire!

Bren

I moved to Leeds from London (after working their for 7 years) and never regretted a minute of it, but then I was desparate to get out of London which I think is an utter shitehole.

Why live in Harrogate? It's a bit blue-rinse and geriatric for my taste.

Leeds has it's drawbacks just like every city. It could do with a decent live venue and town on a Friday and Saturday night is a bit hairy (but then again I'm old.) East Leeds is one of the most deprived areas in the UK. The Dales are fantastic for cycling. lake District is a shortish drive away, so are the North York Moors.

If you are thinking of raising a family at some stage then their are some good schools and parks. Housing is not cheap but you should be able to get a decent place if you are in a position to sell in London.

You sound as if your roots are in London, which is a major factor, no place on earth can replace family and friends.

Good luck

Cathryn

Legendary Member
town on a Friday and Saturday night is a bit hairy (but then again I'm old.)

What IS that all about? I really hate walking through town on a Saturday night, would NEVER do it on my own - although cycle through quite happily late at night!!

postman

Legendary Member
E lads and lasses its reet grand to see thee talkin Abaat city i live in tha knows.Leeds on a friday and saturday is like every other city its reet grand its the prats who abuse it that spoil it.Royal Mail had its main office in the centre of leeds.And its not much fun when some dick tries to kick your wheel out from underneath you infront of a pack of his mates.And despite being 6-4 and chunky you have to grin and bear it.When you are going home after a late turn.Parts of Leeds are crap.East Leeds being one.It is an industrial city that is trying to change its image and its not quite there yet.We had factories and a clothing industry that died with cheap imports.And those areas are now being developed with high rise apartments that have no community spirit.A 24 hour cafe culture was a buzz word awhile back but in town today most of the heart of leeds is being dug up again at a cost of millions no doubt.

gavintc

Guru
Well according to a survey publicised by the Beeb on the breakfast morning show, Beverley is deemed to be the best town in Britain. I have lived there for about 2 1/2 yrs and can concur it is not a bad place to live.

Top Bottom