Where's the best place to store a will?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What happens if you die in a catastrophic house fire?
Fire safes are good :smile:

Bobario

Veteran
Back in the days of the News of the World, I recall Mystic Meg would often advise people that their grandparents will was sellotaped to the bottom of their toaster. So I wouldn't put it there, its too common. On second thoughts put it anywhere, just tell your family to ask Mystic Meg where it is when the time comes.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A copy at the solicitors - I did not ask them to keep one, but I guess it's in their files - a copy at home, and a copy with the executor, she's my best pal ^_^

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
If you are wanting to make sure it can be located (hopefully many years from now!) you can register it with an organisation called Certainty, a sort of centralised database of wills. If anything happens to you and your will can't be located your executors can search against them and see if there is a Will somewhere. There is a charge I think but no idea how much.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Store it wherever you like; as long as you wealthy elderly types have spelt my name correctly! :smile:

alicat

Legendary Member
Mine is at home in a fire-proof box. If I didn't keep it here, I would store it with the solicitor who prepared it.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
If you are wanting to make sure it can be located (hopefully many years from now!) you can register it with an organisation called Certainty, a sort of centralised database of wills. If anything happens to you and your will can't be located your executors can search against them and see if there is a Will somewhere. There is a charge I think but no idea how much.
Won't the official Probate Office be checked before the Certainty website?

Top Bottom