Where's the dividing line between a budget "proper" bike and a Junk BSO?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I class a BSO by the weight of the frame and quality of the equipment. Plastic cranks and pedals scream BSO to me. Grip twist changers on a new bike. Still doesn't mean they can't be used, just tend to be a pita to keep adjusting and repairing.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A friend of mine had a Chopper and I remember racing him on my Night Burner. He thought it wasn't a fair fight so we swapped bikes, and I still beat him. Of course. But my god, handling the Chopper was terrifying when you got up to any kind of speed on it...

I don't recall anyone I used to hang around with having Night Burners, plenty of Grifters and Choppers. There was also a bit of an odd fashion to retro-fit super-wide flat bars to pretty much any variant of adult full-sized wheel bikes IIRC. Popular with skinheads mainly. Whilst the chopper was a solidly built bike, I'd be inclined to call it a BSO of sorts on the grounds of it's lack of functionality and really evil handling. Any mishap would result in the front wheel turning round, you got a handlebar in your face and if you came off the saddle your dangly bits made eye-watering contact with the T-shaped gear shifter. They were pretty dangerous bikes when you think about it! :cry:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Whilst the chopper was a solidly built bike, I'd be inclined to call it a BSO of sorts on the grounds of it's lack of functionality and really evil handling. Any mishap would result in the front wheel turning round, you got a handlebar in your face and if you came off the saddle your dangly bits made eye-watering contact with the T-shaped gear shifter. They were pretty dangerous bikes when you think about it! :cry:

It's a long time ago so my memory is a bit hazy but if I recall correctly, the front wheel developed a frightening wobble at speed that made them almost uncontrollable even if you were riding in a straight line. The less said about that gear-shifter the better.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's a long time ago so my memory is a bit hazy but if I recall correctly, the front wheel developed a frightening wobble at speed that made them almost uncontrollable even if you were riding in a straight line..
Worse still if you had a passenger behind you hanging off the bike - giving them a "bakkie", you'd be lucky to keep the front wheel on the road and even have any steering. Terrible weight distribution.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It's all relative:

Mrs ND had an Apollo bike and it was without a doubt a heavyweight piece of junk.
However, I see a bloke most days who clearly commutes on an Apollo MTB and it's obviously doing a job for him. Maybe it's all he can afford, or maybe he enjoys the constant fettling with the gears, or maybe he's got a £5k carbon road bike he doesn't want to leave chained up outside his work all day - I'll probably never know. The only thing I can definitely say is that he's a bloke who cycles at least 8 miles a day on a bike I'd never consider doing that on.

stalagmike

Enormous member
Once when I was coming home after a night on the sauce, I was in desperate need of more wine, so like you do I bought a corkscrew/bottle opener from a 24hr garage near me. It was in that weird section of the shop where they also have buttons and sellotape on display. It was one of those with the two arms on the side that move up as you screw the screw in and then you pull them down to lever the cork out. Well, I got it (and a couple of bottles of nasty wine) home and was all set to carry on the evening's frivolity, but the arms on this corkscrew just bent without actually levering up the cork in the slightest. It was like the thing was made of grey Plasticine.

I always think of this when the subject of BSOs comes up. This was a corkscrew shaped object which, because it was made of cheese or 'monkey metal' as my old man would say, actually did nothing of the corkscrew function. That's not to say that an Apollo bike would function as a bike for a short while, it's just that there are cheap components on them that will inevitably fail more quickly than a higher quality component. If you're happy to replace bits and bobs of your bike, or as some have mentioned, be continually fettling your gears, then fine. It's a bit like banger-nomics I guess. Once the cost of replacing parts becomes too great then they might as well go to the scrappy. Really, really expensive bikes are a bit like sports cars, in that bits on those need replacing more often because they are engineered to such small tolerances etc. that they are easily knocked out of whack. I believe most of us sit somewhere in the middle, with 'decent' bikes that perform well with regular maintenance.

Christ, I've gone on a bit here. Sorry.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Keep the comments coming. Always worth hearing different perspectives.
Essentially, by fixing up and running skip salvage as rat bikes, I'm intending to do "bangernomics for bikes". Fettling gear and brake adjustments regularly doesn't bother me in the slightest. Regarding replacing worn bits on cheap bikes, one benefit of being in London is that, if you keep your eyes peeled, you'll come across a lot of wrecks that have been heavily crashed or badly vandalised and then just dumped which can be rescued in order to cannibalise them for any remaining useful parts to swap on to another bike to keep it going at very little cost. It's really surprising what some people will chuck away. Whether they are too mechanically inept to fix things or just have more money than sense I'm not too sure, but a lot of perfectly fixable lower-end machinery gets abandoned for pretty trivial basic maintenance neglect-related problems in some cases

gaijintendo

Veteran
I think of it like this:
It looks like a bicycle, but it's...
a death trap
a shed filler
Impossible to shift
a rust bucket
a collection of malleable metals in a pose
a modern take on a torture instrument

A bike would be safe, rideable, maintainable and moderately durable. Ultimately, you shouldn't hate riding it.

lazyfatgit

BSO when its not fit for purpose. Typically with poorly finished frame and a crappy bottom bracket that lasts about 2 weeks and it costs more at the lbs for labour and parts to make it useable than the original purchase price.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This is what I'd mean by a BSO: the brakes were wonky and didn't work, it weighed 19kg, the wheels were warped, pedals wonky, etc. I got it for free and it hadn't been used.

_86-jpg.jpg

This is my £5 Dawes which probably just goes into the same territory:

full-lightbox-1-last_edit_date-1500987945-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
It always used to the specialized allez around here. If you had a Btwin, you'd be a laughing stock even if they owned a Raleigh.

Top Bottom