Where's the sticky for Newbie Commuter-Cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NigC

I was just wondering where it was - would have expected to see one on such a well used forum :smile: And no, I'm not volunteering - I'm a relative newbie too and my commute is fairly short, so I don't have much to offer.

But there's one piece of advice I'll share for those just getting into the idea of commuting by bike:

Make sure you carry at least one spare inner tube and the tools you need to change it :smile: I always carry two spares and a pucture repair kit too, although I can't ever see I'll need the kit until I get home and have the time to mess about ;)

P.S. Don't use the inner tubes with the gunk inside them that's supposed to "repair" a hole by filling it with the gunk. I tried one once and it lasted 2 miles, then exploded!!!!!!! It took 10 minutes and many many tissues to clean up the inside of the wheel before I could put a decent one back in :ohmy:

OP
OP
N

NigC

Well this didn't really generate the response I was hoping for ;)

How about I chuck a scenario at you all and we see what comes of it? I'll have a go at collating it as much as possible - I'm sure there's all sorts of advice all other the forum anyway, but the problem with that is it's very difficult to find. So here's your starter for 10.....

You've been chatting to your best friend about how you always cycle to work and they've come to the conclusion they're going to do it too. They seem very serious about it and convince you that it's something they are definitely going to do. The problem is, they're not much of a cyclist - sure they can ride a bike and they've been driving for many years, so know the rules of the road from a drivers point of view. But they haven't got any clue about where to start. They are you best friend, so you must give them the best advice you can think of.

What do you tell them?

Arch

Married to Night Train
NigC said:
You've been chatting to your best friend about how you always cycle to work and they've come to the conclusion they're going to do it too. They seem very serious about it and convince you that it's something they are definitely going to do. The problem is, they're not much of a cyclist - sure they can ride a bike and they've been driving for many years, so know the rules of the road from a drivers point of view. But they haven't got any clue about where to start. They are you best friend, so you must give them the best advice you can think of.

What do you tell them?

Buy, and read, Cyclecraft.

Don't cycle in the gutter.

Remember all the rules that apply to the cars, apply to you (with the exception of specific cycle exceptions, of course)

Keep your tyres pumped up well.

Assume everyone else is an idiot, and be pleasantly surprised by the ones that aren't. As an addendum to this, look well ahead, and anticipate everything.

Enjoy it!

Norm

Get a decent spare / repair kit - buy cheap, buy twice.

Learn the difference between assertive and aggressive. One will keep you alive, the other may kill you. But remember that "He had priority" means little on a head stone.

It's not as bad as you'll expect.

Don't make something big of it, it's just cycling.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
How about this topic in Beginners:

https://www.cyclechat.net/

OP
OP
N

NigC

Arch said:
Buy, and read, Cyclecraft.

Don't cycle in the gutter.

Remember all the rules that apply to the cars, apply to you (with the exception of specific cycle exceptions, of course)

Keep your tyres pumped up well.

Assume everyone else is an idiot, and be pleasantly surprised by the ones that aren't. As an addendum to this, look well ahead, and anticipate everything.

Enjoy it!

Thanks for this - useful pearls of wisdom :biggrin:

"Assume everyone else is an idiot" works for any mode of transport :tongue:

OP
OP
N

NigC

Norm said:
Get a decent spare / repair kit - buy cheap, buy twice.

Learn the difference between assertive and aggressive. One will keep you alive, the other may kill you. But remember that "He had priority" means little on a head stone.

It's not as bad as you'll expect.

Don't make something big of it, it's just cycling.

More useful tips, thanks :tongue:

Assertive and aggressive can seem very similar, but like you say, the difference could be life and death!

Top Bottom