where's Wafflycat ....!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Suffolk is gently (and sometimes not so gently) being washed away.

These were taken on the coastal path a few months ago, the sign is suspended over a 20 ft drop held in place by the remnants of a fence.

Behind me is an lovely old house that probably has a year or so left at the most.

DSC00698.jpg

The path is now broken with several diversions around repairs or unsafe areas,
DSC00697.jpg

Unless you are the old boy who lives in that house or have an intrest in martello towers though the impact isnt too great.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I missed the all important 'middle' bit out of my memory. That's good, saves you on sandbag filling then.

wafflycat

Wherryman is out on the Broads though, IIRC. On some parts of the coast sandbagging is underway & some people are already being evacuated, as a surge of about 10ft is expected. The 1953 flood was caused by a surge of such height & over 300 died - even more in the Netherlands I think.

wafflycat

Horrible - truly horrible. How is the '53 flood remembered over in the Netherlands? Over here in the UK, it's as if the '53 flood never happened. Odd considering the area it damaged was *vast* and so many people lost their lives. I've got a video of archive footage of the '53 flooding in East Anglia and it was absolutely horrendous, yet it's as if it's been wiped from the nation's conciousness.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

wafflycat said:
Wherryman is out on the Broads though, IIRC. On some parts of the coast sandbagging is underway & some people are already being evacuated, as a surge of about 10ft is expected. The 1953 flood was caused by a surge of such height & over 300 died - even more in the Netherlands I think.

alan H said:
1,835 died in the Netherlands

Crap! They were saying on the news that the flood defences are much better prepared than in 1953. Let's hope so. Expected around 7am. Let's hope they've over-egged it as well.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
The 1953 flood was probably the worst natural disaster to hit the Netherlands since the middle ages. We live in Amersfoort, the geographical centre of the country and about two hours' drive from the coast, yet the River Rhine near us has flood barrages (admittedly the furthest inland). If the dykes were to break tonight, our house would be on the coast. The '53 flood left a lot of scars here.

wafflycat

Ah yes, flood defences. Indeed many are better than in '53 but living here in the Eastern region, our local rag is full of stories where flood defence budgets are being cut/withdrawn and defences not maintained with no plans for future maintenance and the like. I have a feeling it'll take another disaster on the scale of the '53 flood - with London being inundated too, for the Westminster village to get its head around just how devasting and dangerous floods really are. The Netherlands is much better prepared than we are now - this is a good thing for the Netherlands.

Another part of me can see why over-egging it can be a good thing - as the *risk* is very real - and it seems that as people are already being evacuated in parts of the region, that if the flooding happens, it's likely to be far less serious in terms of loss of life.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
wafflycat said:
Ah yes, flood defences. ... our local rag is full of stories where flood defence budgets are being cut/withdrawn and defences not maintained with no plans for future maintenance and the like.
That sounds hauntingly like Hurricane Katrina. Hope you have a quiet night.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
So, has the combined forces of the nature decimated eastern England yet? I have heard that small parts of Yarmouth have been flooded? Updates please.

Very interesting - I watched a documentary about the 1953 floods which argued that the disaster was dumbed down because it was post coronation year and the post war boom, and so they didn't want to ruin it with bad news. Particularly because the emergency services were crap, and it would make people in power look bad...

Top Bottom