Which £500 Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

I'm looking to buy a new Mountain Bike for about £500. Will be used off road sometimes but most often on road with slick (ish) tyres on. What would you buy?

One that feels right and fits...but this might give you some ideas:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12540401

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Thanks, that's good link. I like the look of the Genesis Core and the GT Avalanche 1.0. My wife has a GT bike very similar to Hardrock and it's a comfortable bike.

Just need to decide what matters more spec wise as some bikes at this price have good forks, some good brakes but you don't get the full moo for £500.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I went down to Halfords and they have a Carrera Fury 07 reduced to £459. It's a great spec bike for the money. Rock Shox Tora318 fork, 27 speed SRAM X7 gearing and Trektro hydraulic brakes.

Looking at other sites only the Truvativ splined bottom bracket and the overly flexible frame come in for criticism. What do you think of it?

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
You should get something really good for £500. Lots of online reviews of 100's of bikes. I have a Trek that cost £200 which I'm very satisfied with. Probably go for just front suspension with a good gear range.

Top Bottom