Which bicycle is best for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

homerjay

Hi all,
Have been lurking on these forums for a little while, but finally decided to create an account and ask this question, as I'm a bit stuck. I know you get a lot of these sort of posts but couldn't find a previous post that answered my specific situation. For a bit of background: I haven't owned a bike since I was a kid (apart from a brief stint in uni - it got nicked within 2 months!), I'm 6ft, and weigh about 92kg. Since the first lockdown, I've essentially been sedentary, and I am quite out of shape now.

I'm looking to get a bicycle primarily for the 5-mile commute to work, but also to get back into shape, and eventually go on some longer rides. I live on the outskirts of a city, and the ride would be mostly using a local trail (mostly tarmac) and also some roads. Initially, I was looking at getting a hybrid, but a friend suggested a gravel bike - which seems to be a good fit for my needs (I think). I think disc brakes would be preferential too.

My budget is under £1,500. I have looked at a few models online (Canyon Grail, Specialized Diverge, Giant Revolt), but a lot of them seem to be out of stock - I was hoping to have the bike by mid-July! There's so much information to compare about the bikes I look at online - wheels, tyres, derailleurs, gears, - I have no idea what is best for me and what isn't!

I intend to head to a local bicycle shop this weekend, to see if they can give me some pointers, but if anyone has any suggested models (in my price range) or pointers on what to look for as a beginner, that would be super helpful!

carpiste

Guru
The local bike shop is a great start but I would also get along to Evans or one of the bigger stores. You`ll get the same help but also be able to sit on a few of the bikes they have. And as far as stock is concerned Evans do have quite a few in stock, and certainly more than your local store. I only mention Evans because there are a few around but there is also Rutland, Wheelebase etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
How hilly will your riding be? Some gravel bikes come with a single chainring which may be a consideration. Your budget should get you a Tiagra double or a 1x10 set up. Higher group sets might be out of budget given poor stocks and high prices.
Also, where are you based? Someone may be able to recommend an LBS.
Allow budget for mudguards for commuting and potentially a pannier rack and bags if having to carry much

OP
OP
H

homerjay

How hilly will your riding be? Some gravel bikes come with a single chainring which may be a consideration. Your budget should get you a Tiagra double or a 1x10 set up. Higher group sets might be out of budget given poor stocks and high prices.
Also, where are you based? Someone may be able to recommend an LBS.
Allow budget for mudguards for commuting and potentially a pannier rack and bags if having to carry much

My commute would not be very hilly at all, but I live near Cardiff so if I were to head north into the Valleys, things can get very hilly!

rivers

How far can I go?
I would take a look at the Orro Terra G range. Aluminium gravel bikes that fall nicely under your budget for a good spec. I have the terra c (carbon version), and can't fault it.

I've got a Diverge 1x and for what I use it for it's great (mainly trails and towpaths) but when I have done a bit more road work the gaps in the gears are a bit of a pain.

vickster

Legendary Member
You don't say what country so I am going to assume UK based.

If so consider Dolan cycles. They have the GXA (https://www.dolan-bikes.com/gxa-2020/) which is gravel, and the RDX (https://www.dolan-bikes.com/rdx-disc-road/) which is more all-road. Have a shop in Lancashire if you're that way, otherwise online only and expect to wait a month and not be able to sit on the bike prior to receiving it.
Interesting, but the lowest spec is only a penny under the stated max budget (although the GXA dies have the mudguards). Maybe the budget can flex up :ph34r:
The best thing will be to find stock. Unfortunately, you're looking for the most common size, the most common price point etc. Doesn't look like the sub £1500 Orro will be readily available before mid October as an example.
Go to a few shops and see what, if anything is available. My LBS says they can't get Spesh for love nor money, and they are showing the Orro for October. They do have Treks though (albeit no sub £1500 gravel option)

Last edited:

raggydoll

Über Member
Dont forget 2nd hand bikes (gumtree etc)
A bit more risky though....especially if you don't know much about bikes. You could end up buying something that someone else has ridden into the ground and need to replace a lot of expensive parts. On the other hand, you could find a barely used bike and get a bargain.

It is just your luck.
Buying new is obviously safer in that respect...plus you get to be the first owner of your shiny new bike!

Baldy

Über Member
Gravel bike are for going off road and doing long rides, but not as rough tracks as mountain bikes. Do you actually see yourself doing this type of riding? You say you'll mainly be commuting and doing local tarmac tracks. Gravel bikes are very trendy at the moment so they're more expensive. Unless you see yourself doing that type of riding I'd stay with hybrid bikes, apart from anything else there's likely to be more choice in that category.

acuna_read

Interesting, but the lowest spec is only a penny under the stated max budget (although the GXA dies have the mudguards).
Afraid not, misleading photo/advertising. They're a £30 extra!

@homerjay also have a look at ribble. They do the CGR range which with Tiagra (https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-al/)is well within budget, you could even get the steel instead of the aluminium if you wished or spec for Shimano 105.

Top Bottom