Which bike for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
A thinner tyre will reduce weight of the bike a bit and help speed on the road. You should be able to fit a 35mm even 32mm potentially

Go try it out (in your shoes, I wouldn't buy a bike without doing so)

The distance from the pedal to the seat is only one dimension that is important for correct bike fit. There are others, such as the horizontal distance from the saddle to the bars, and the vertical distance from the saddle to the bars. You really do need to find a decent bike shop. Roughly, where are you located?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Matin looks good for the money, particularly the black colour. The tyres will be a bit slow for road use but you can run them at Max to mitigate that somewhat but when you get fed up with them and switch the some narrower Schwalbe Marathons for instance the bike will be transformed.
The XL should be fine for you.

OP
OP
H

hysq

The distance from the pedal to the seat is only one dimension that is important for correct bike fit. There are others, such as the horizontal distance from the saddle to the bars, and the vertical distance from the saddle to the bars. You really do need to find a decent bike shop. Roughly, where are you located?
I'm in Scotland. Had not great experiences in the two near me which I can use for the scheme so don't want to go back. I could go to Halfords or Cycle Republic I suppose.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm in Scotland. Had not great experiences in the two near me which I can use for the scheme so don't want to go back. I could go to Halfords or Cycle Republic I suppose.
What happened?

Go to CR not Halfords as you can test ride at the former not latter

OP
OP
H

hysq

What happened?

Go to CR not Halfords as you can test ride at the former not latter

Just not helpful at all. Difficult to browse in and was basically told there was only one bike (linked above) for me in one shop and given a range of prices for bikes I couldn't really see in the other, one of which it turned out didn't meet my basic criteria. Thanks for the tip re CR.

Top Bottom