Which bike for Romney Marsh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I should be moving to Ashford quite soon and I'll have to be narrowing down the small assortment of bikes I now have. I have two folders (one of which is definately going, the Brommie will stay) a 2007 Langster and a 2008 Boardman Comp MTB, both in fine fettle of which either or both willl be sold - I haven't quite made my mind up. I know that the roads of the Marsh are really flat and easy but I will be doing the occasional excursion around Ashford and very occasionally dirt-tracking (think dis-used railway lines). With a budget of say, £900 what do you think I should go for? In all honesty I don't use the MTB to anywhere near it's potential. It will be an all-year bike so would need clearance for mudguards and a fairly upright riding position but panniers are not important to me. Anything not 2300 or Sora-equipped would be most welcome. (In my head I'm thinking Tri-Cross by the way, but very open to suggestions)

Thanks in advance,

Bill

g00se

Veteran
Kona Jake or Jake the Snake?

OP
OP
TheBoyBilly

TheBoyBilly

Either of those could be just the job, thank you. Do you know if either give a comfortable upright riding position? What I find, especially with the Langster, is that I have to 'crane' my neck for a decent view. A flat-out racing posture is not for me.

Bill

g00se

Veteran
Not sure how they compare to the Langster - but looking at this image:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/cyclo-cross/product/jake-the-snake-08-28886

The toes are near the front wheel so the geometry is quite compact.

If you want relaxed, the Dew Drop is quite upright and can take all the accessories - but it does have Sora brifters (Deore rear mech) which you didn't want.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/urban/product/dew-drop-10-37661

The review isn't great, but a lot of folks love them.

OP
OP
TheBoyBilly

TheBoyBilly

Thanks g00se, it's a fine bike judging by the review and certainly one to consider at that price. I could always upgrade kit later when things wear out. Nice one mate, but I have a bit of time to make my choice yet.

Bill

OP
OP
TheBoyBilly

TheBoyBilly

I have considered the CdF too g00se, and it ticks all the right boxes especially if my firm do the Ride2Work scheme again. The only downside is the colour as white will be hard to keep nice but heck, it's going to be a real work-horse anyway. 35mm tyres can easily be changed to thinner for faster club runs if necessary but should do for the majority of my riding.
At the mo it's looking.....
1) Tricross
2) Croix de Fer
3) Focus Mares
Wild card......Kona Dew Drop

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
A voodoo Limba?
I've got a green one, and its a cracking good bike.
I've ridden it where you are going to as well and its fits the spec perfectly.

Drop me a line when you get to Ashford, if you want. Always up for some tea and cake near the Marsh

OP
OP
TheBoyBilly

TheBoyBilly

Thanks Steve. I have to say choosing a bike is quite an enjoyable pastime. As it is it may be a while before our move because my partners buyers have pulled out today (when it looked like we were about to exchange contracts) because they have now decided that they would prefer to live in Sellinge rather than Lympne. So until then I shall be fliiting between Shoreham-by-Sea and Lympne for a little longer. Once settled and I have put my house on the market I shall certainly be up for a spin across the Marsh......now to check out the spec of the Limba.

Cheers,

Bill

Top Bottom