Which Bike? Help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smartest_smarty

Dear all,

I am considering buying my first proper bike, so I can commute to work each day. The journey is about 16 miles, 32 miles return.

I've owned a few bikes which were given to me when I was younger, but I knew nothing about them.

This would be the first time I purchase one myself and put though into what I bike I ride.

Any recommendations, within the £1000 price bracket - preferably half of that (£500)
I've been told about the brompton bikes, for their ability to fold up etc, they seem quite interesting, but i'd like to get a few more opinions first.

vickster

Legendary Member
You want a bike with clearance for mudguards and lugs for a pannier rack. If riding the full 16 miles, a Brompton with its small wheels wouldn't be ideal. They also start around £1000

OP
OP
S

smartest_smarty

Thanks for your replies. I'll be commuting into the centre of London, most of the journey will be on road. I've never ridden this far, or on road before, last time I road was as a kid but was using the pavement.
I'd say i'm in good shape, i'm 6ft very lean and do quite a bit of exercise throughout the week.

I like the idea of the fold up Brompton, but yes they do have small wheels and don't look very suitable for long distance.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have somewhere to secure your bike at work. Either way, you'll want to use a good chunk of your budget for strong locks

Where are you riding from and to? Are you potentially going to use public transport for part of the journey,e.g, if the weather is horrid?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Thanks for your replies. I'll be commuting into the centre of London, most of the journey will be on road. I've never ridden this far, or on road before, last time I road was as a kid but was using the pavement.
I'd say i'm in good shape, i'm 6ft very lean and do quite a bit of exercise throughout the week.

I like the idea of the fold up Brompton, but yes they do have small wheels and don't look very suitable for long distance.
Bromptons are great bikes. Some find them ugly, others find beauty in their design. Those that love them will tell you that you can tour the world on them....and you can. Thing is, you could tour the world on a chopper if you were motivated to do so.

In London, bromptons are pretty trendy and seem to be the weapon of choice for those who commute by train and want to gain some fitness by riding from a station rather than taking a bus. They also are "allegedly" big in the world of architects and creatives.

If you plan to ride every single day I would say a Brompton is over engineered for you, you will be paying for stuff you don't need...like its fold ability. If you plan to break the ride and occasionally take the train, a Brompton is perfect .

I ride anything from 10-20 miles into work (and the same back) but not every day. I ride a standard (I hope she never hears me refer to her as that) road bike. It's perfect, fast, zippy and capable of taking me much further afield at weekends ( she carried me from Brussels to Paris last weekend).

If a full on road bike is not your thing, look at hybrids that will take mudguards and panier racks....they are basically road bikes with a few extra brackets and flat bars.

Another alternative is a single speed or even a fixed bike. These are super trendy in London, if you work in the arts, graphics, computer or creative world, you will not be allowed to ride anything else...it's the law.
Single speed and fixed bikes have no gears and often no brakes (other than the chain stopping the rear wheel) whilst this may sound mad, they are extremely responsive and offer a genuine low maintainance option. I am considering one myself right now for the winter muck.

I suspect ( and please don't take this as an insult, we all do it) that to start with you will choose a bike with far too much stuff on it, brackets, mudguards,mirrors, etc and eventually will find, through experience, that these are just a preference, not a necessity. Ultimately you will trim down.

The same goes for the stuff you carry.
When you start you will carry more luggage than a Kardashian on tour but one summers day will find yourself happily spinning through London with nothing more than a spare tube and a tyre lever....or two.

Good luck, hope that helps, if you are new to getting about town, we have a guide for new city riders, that we made especially for you, it's a sticky at the top of the commuting section.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-essential-guide-for-new-commuters.56622/

J

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I've just picked up a £1000 giant defy 0 from tredz for £674 thanks to a pric drop and TDF discount weekend. Definately worth a look

Tojo

Über Member
Brompton, I wouldn't pay anywhere like a grand for one of those, its a lump and hasn't even got any components on it to justify the price...IMO...SHITE...:rofl:

vickster

Legendary Member
Any good road bikes which are foldable like a Brompton?

There are some folding bikes with bigger wheels, just look on google

I'd only have a folding bike if I was definitely going to take it on public transport in the rush hours, or if very limited in storage space at home. They just seem too compromised, especially given the distances you'll be doing. I assume the 16 miles are home to work and not further with a public transport element

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Any good road bikes which are foldable like a Brompton?
Probably, but to be honest, unless you have a massive "need" to fold the bike, like having to occasionally jump on a peak hour train...I wouldn't bother. It's a compromise that I would struggle to justify.

15 miles will eventually take you about an hour (London is pretty flat). Getting to a station and then to home at the other end will likely take you the same, so if you are able to, I would just avoid the train.

I appreciate you may have other reasons to consider a folder, let us know the issue and we may be able to help.

vickster

Legendary Member
If commuting in London, or anywhere, you should join an organisation that provides members with legal cover and 3rd party indemnity. CTC, LCC or British cycling. The latter will also get you 10% off purchases at halfords, a bonus if you go for that bike

Ride membership is £34 a year

Top Bottom