Which Bike!??! Help please!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willem

Über Member
No but he was sponsored to "prove" the point. It is not for nothing that Rohloff are not too keen, nor are Idworx, or m-gineering, my own frame builder. The first of my friends has already had his belt drive Van Nicholas converted back to "ferro drive".
Willem

andym

Über Member
I also see your point about titanuim - but the whole point with this is not the weight, it's the sheer strength, which gives steel a run for its money. I'm defo not a man thinking about saving grams... Though, as you say, it wont be repaired in the event of a problem. Steel will.

I think framemakers tend to use titanium rather than steel because the strength means they can use less of it - so therefore lighter. But yes I agree if you used the same amount of titanium it would indeed be stronger.

andym

Über Member
No but he was sponsored to "prove" the point. It is not for nothing that Rohloff are not too keen, nor are Idworx, or m-gineering, my own frame builder. The first of my friends has already had his belt drive Van Nicholas converted back to "ferro drive".

I seem to remember when belt drives were The Future for motorbikes - that was at least 30 years ago.

OP
OP
pkeenan

pkeenan

Über Member
I've been reliably informed that Koga *do* have a steel frame of the bike I want.

Have just 'built it up' on their website, I made it almost identical to the alu one I specd (the only difference being the stem).

This is good news indeed! Ie - the choice of the exact same bike (in the config I want) in both steel and alu.

Which one I go with, we'll see... :smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I seem to remember when belt drives were The Future for motorbikes - that was at least 30 years ago.

That was when Harley Davidson adopted them in a forlorn attempt to bring their bikes into the present.
thumbsup.png

stephenjubb

Über Member
Willem - that is extremely helpful. Thank you!

I agree that a good frame should not break. Which brings me to think that everyone seems to talk about steel being necessary because it's repairable anywhere - but how many people have actually been in that situation?

I have read loads of forums over the last few years, and never actually heard of someone having that happen to them.

happened to me on my Bike Friday New World Tourist in Scotland 3 years ago, 5 days into the tour the down tube broke, without a repair my holiday would have been over, then I went and broke the trailer with too much weight, got that repaired as well (sent home a load of weight as well).

P.H

Über Member
Dream bikes, let's be honest, if you spend that sort of money on a bike it's going to be something special. But I'd do something different, the bike I'd choose for such an adventure wouldn't necessarily by the bike I'd want to spend the rest of my cycling days with. I much prefer 700c wheels, yet am well aware they're not available everywhere. I like the idea of disk brakes, but I've seen people have far more trouble with them than rim brakes. I would stick with the Rohloff, I've never heard of one become unrideable and Rohloff have a reputation for getting spares round the world in days rather than weeks. So given that, I'd choose a Thorn Raven, with carbide rims for improved braking and a dynamo hub. It isn't the best bike ever (Despite what Thorn tell you) it is pretty much bombproof, well tried and tested, less attractive to thieves and a reasonable price. I'd leave the balance of your budget in the bank and at the end of the tour maybe swap the hubs into a 700c custom titanium frame from Sabbath, Burls or if you're feeling brave direct from China. I won't post yet another photo of my custom ti Rohloff, if you're interested it's in this thread;

https://www.cyclechat.net/

andym

Über Member
I like the idea of disk brakes, but I've seen people have far more trouble with them than rim brakes.

Disc brakes do seem to attract more fear and superstition than rim brakes - I suspect this is mainly because people who come to them from a road riding background find them unfamiliar, while they've grown up with rim brakes.

If disc are properly set up there's not very much that can go wrong with them:

- if you have hydraulic brakes and you pack the bike in a way that stresses the joints then you could end up leaking brake fluid - but this is fairly easy to avoid;
- you could dent or bend the disc - but again this is pretty unlikely unless you had an accident that involved falling sideways onto a rock;
- the pistons (or cams if you have cable brakes) could seize up but again this is pretty unlikely.

I think the chances of having problems with discs are no greater than damaging a wheel and not being able to use rim brakes because the rim is out of true.

The key words are 'if they are properly set up' - as with everything else it's worth making sure everything has bedded down before you set off on an big tour.

P.H

Über Member
I think the chances of having problems with discs are no greater than damaging a wheel and not being able to use rim brakes because the rim is out of true.

I'm happy to accept that. However I have never been to any part of the world where I couldn't get a damaged wheel repaired locally. Do you think that's the case with disk brakes?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
The OP may be interested in this review by the Travelling Two of their Santos Travelmasters and their opinions on steel v alu. FWIW I find my steel-framed tourer not as harsh over bumpy surfaces as my alu-framed hybrid but they're at different ends of the price spectrum so it's not exactly a direct comparison. As with any bike purchase, there's no substitute for a test ride. I wouldn't spend the amount you're contemplating or for your high mileage without trying it first. You might find your mind's made up for you.

OP
OP
pkeenan

pkeenan

Über Member
I wouldn't spend the amount you're contemplating or for your high mileage without trying it first. You might find your mind's made up for you.

I quite agree - will definitely be doing this.

Nice to see some argument for the alu side of things. Certainly these Santos and Koga alu frames seem to be able to handle anything. And both have a steel alternative - which is great.

I can't make my mind up between them. Though am currently leaning toward steel. :tongue:

Aparently the Koga Alu frame is easily chipped...? Anyone have experience of this?

Wardy

I've got the Santos Travelmaster 2.6 Cr-Mo myself and I think it's a superb bike. Unfortunately, due to family illness I've had to give up camping and lengthy trips away, so I'm having to sell it. Boo Hoo! I went for Shimano Deore XT front and rear mechs as I was a bit put off by stories of noise from the Rohloff. I also decided on Shimano XTR brakes instead of the standard Maguras. The 26" Rigida Sputnik wheels are shod with Panaracer 1.75's which I felt were a good all-rounder and are good for rough track or tarmac. It'll take up to 60cm! It's a very comfortable, stable, go-anywhere bike, frame and forks made in the EC and Santos do a great assembly job.

Top Bottom