Which bike...just been to buy my first !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shazzamcf

Hi, have had a day of window shopping for bikes and eventually have narrowed down to 2. So looking to see if anyone has either and what they think. i'm looking for a hybrid to basically get fit. I live in a very hilly area so want something light. My budget is £300 so my 1st choice is trek 7.0 fx and 2nd is carrera subway . Both are the same price but my LBS has made me think the Trek would be a better option. Any advice thanks. Sx PS if anyone else has a better choice then let me know.

DavieB

MIA
If you are in an area with lots of hills, which one has the lowest gearing? Im sure someone here will know. But id imagine that would be a good plan (fellow noob here)

DavieB

MIA
Looks like they both have triple front gears so probably not much between them. Maybe down to what you like more or find more comfortable. As I say Im no expert but no one else is replying :biggrin:

The Carrera subway 2 is a very nice looking bike imho. With the disc brakes and all that. Seems to be a quite well recommended bike on here dont know anything about the trek. I have a Carrera road bike and I quite like it.

OP
OP
S

shazzamcf

Thanks for replying...I thought I would have had more advice to be honest as thats why I joined this as I'm a total novice. Will go with the shops advice...thanks. Will let you know what I buy. Sx

Alan Whicker

Good as the subway is, Halfords can be patchy when setting bikes up. It's always good to build up a relationship with a decent LBS (and I know there are some dodgy ones out there). FWIW I've got the 7.3fx, a bit further up the Trek range. I love it. It's got a creaky crank at the moment but my LBS are going to sort it next week.

OP
OP
S

shazzamcf

Thanks thats what my LBS has said, going back yhis afternoon as they have 2 different size ladies frames weirdly both feel the same (I have short leg syndrome-thanks Dad) so he wants to look at how I sit on both, so I think I'll go with the Trek, it's the top end of my budget but hey I'm worth it (if I dont say that nobody will ha ha). Thanks again everyone. Sx

SBaxter

Another vote for the Trek, I used that very same model for about 8 weeks while I was waiting for my new road bike and did some fairly big climbs on it and have absolutely no complaints I would also agree with the opinion of going with your LBS over Halfords for both build quality and relationship.

Enjoy whichever one you decide.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Pay as much as you can afford. You won't regret it.

shazzamcf said:
Thanks thats what my LBS has said, going back yhis afternoon as they have 2 different size ladies frames weirdly both feel the same (I have short leg syndrome-thanks Dad) so he wants to look at how I sit on both, so I think I'll go with the Trek, it's the top end of my budget but hey I'm worth it (if I dont say that nobody will ha ha). Thanks again everyone. Sx

jimboalee

DavieB said:
If you are in an area with lots of hills, which one has the lowest gearing? Im sure someone here will know. But id imagine that would be a good plan (fellow noob here)

If you are in an area with lots of hills, which one is the lightest?

It is less expensive ( and easier ) to reduce the gearing on a light bike, than to lighten a low geared bike.

postman

Legendary Member
Amazing just last week .A taxi driver who goes to our church .Sought my advice on a hybrid bike .

Taking in considerations like .

Cost ,use of bike woods and towpaths .Is this a fad and will he just leave it in his garage after a while .

WHAT HIS MISSUS THINKS ABOUT THIS IDEA .

i not knowing anything about hybrids.Chose those two bikes to go and see .

Seems like i was on the right track .

And for my money the Trek .

Top Bottom