Which bike to buy dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
(mods following my normal self I place this in the wrong place *faceplam*)
I'm looking for a new bike and this one crossed my eyes.
My current bike is a focus varido 2.0 and to be frank I hate it.
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/cannondale-synapse-alu-ultegra-disc-14
It has a high tech gear set but its on a alloy frame and i'm not sure what to make of it.
Or I can get a carbon for £300 but its no longer ultragear but 105.
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/cannondale-synapse-105-14

The other bike I was looking at was the
Specialized Tarmac SL4 Sport '14
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/specialized-tarmac-sl4-sport-14

Felt AR5 105 2013
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-ar5-105-2013/

What do you guys think.
Also any suggestions.

Last edited:
Don't get hung up on alu v cf, there are pros and cons for both,. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking cf is an upgrade over cf, it generally isn't, and FWIW Cannondale make the best alu frames in the world.

Also. don't stress over 105 v Ultegra, you won't notice a difference between them, I promise you that.

Try as many different bikes as you can and get the one that fits you best, you'll thank me for it in the long run :becool:

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Don't get hung up on alu v cf, there are pros and cons for both,. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking cf is an upgrade over cf, it generally isn't, and FWIW Cannondale make the best alu frames in the world.

Also. don't stress over 105 v Ultegra, you won't notice a difference between them, I promise you that.

Try as many different bikes as you can and get the one that fits you best, you'll thank me for it in the long run :becool:
Which one based on purely tech and what you can see would you chose.

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I don't do cf so it'd be alu for me every time. The bikes you've linked to are a bit of a mix. You don't say what you 'hate' about your Focus, but if you like the race geometry arse in the air fit have you considered the CAAD10?
I find my focus sluggish and too stiff. It feels like i'm just dragging along.
The specialized Allez is by far my favorite bike so that may give you an idea. I just love everything about it. I regret selling it(I should have just upgraded components)

The specialized Allez is by far my favorite bike so that may give you an idea. I just love everything about it. I regret selling it(I should have just upgraded components)
IIRC the Allez is a bit more of a relaxed geometry, whereas the CAAD, Tarmac and Felt are all race oriented, (but that said I'm no racer, never will be, but I love my CAAD), but the Synapse would compare well with your Allez IMO.

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
IIRC the Allez is a bit more of a relaxed geometry, whereas the CAAD, Tarmac and Felt are all race oriented, (but that said I'm no racer, never will be, but I love my CAAD), but the Synapse would compare well with your Allez IMO.
I'm siding with Cannondale at the moment but knowing specialized I could try the tarmac and fall in love ha.
Im under the impression Cannondale has a huge stigma with it regarding road bikes. Is that true and if so why do you know?

I'm under the impression Cannondale has a huge stigma with it regarding road bikes. Is that true and if so why do you know?
That's not something I've heard before TBH. C'dale offer a lifetime warranty on their frames, (same as Specialized), so I sleep well at night :thumbsup:

Their supply can be a bit hit and miss, (or it used to be at least), but I don't think that would be an issue with the Synapse anyway.

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
That's not something I've heard before TBH. C'dale offer a lifetime warranty on their frames, (same as Specialized), so I sleep well at night :thumbsup:

Their supply can be a bit hit and miss, (or it used to be at least), but I don't think that would be an issue with the Synapse anyway.
Maybe its boardman Im thinking of.

Albert

Über Member
My take is this:
At any given price point it is hard to find anything that functions better than a Giant - looks are another thing entirely. Decide how much you want to spend, ride that particular Giant and then see if there is anything that you like better.

theloafer

Legendary Member
that said, the latest carbon synapse is very highly regarded.

:thumbsup: got mine back in 2011 with the apex (old knees likes low gears) :laugh: love it to bits ...almost as much as my best bike (tourer) its steel and made to measure ^_^

IMG_4847.JPG

Top Bottom