Which bike to buy in UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A friend of mine who’s 5’6 (fairly long legged) has done about 30000 miles on a small Avail. That’s not the TT measurement. I’m nearly 5’10 and the Avail I had was the medium aka 50cm

Check the Avail geo charts

https://www.liv-cycling.com/global/liv-design-bikefit
The chart shows a better fit on a M, it also shows you should have been on a L Avail/Liv so if the M was a good fit for you then you may well be right with your recommendation/advice. Always best to try before you buy :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
The chart shows a better fit on a M, it also shows you should have been on a L Avail/Liv so if the M was a good fit for you then you may well be right with your recommendation/advice. Always best to try before you buy :smile:
Of course and a good discussion with an LBS. the medium was fine over many thousands of miles for me. I'm a long legged 5'10 (all my current bikes have a 54cm TT - just like the medium Avail - and 100cm stem). And the medium would certainly have been too big for my 5'6 friend (she's on her 2nd small Avail). The small has a 52.5cm TT if you scroll down the Ashcycles page

The testimonials in the link are interesting

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Hi. I am female and 5'5'' ish. I wouldn't get too hung up on getting a female frame bike. I bought a 2008/9 Giant TCR C3 for £200 from Shpock a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. If the bike is a good fit, the crossbar isn't a big deal imo, unless you are going to your Prom on it. I looked for second hand women's bikes but found the choice quite limited.

If you are working and your company is part of the scheme, you can get good discounts on bikes via the Cycle to Work scheme. This might bring a new bike (and thus a wider choice) into your price range.

If you want to see some seriously inspiring women, including endurance cyclists, check out the lessonsinbadassery website, where a journalist interviews female athletes. My favourite is, 'I rowed the Atlantic on four days notice'.

Edit: Also, re frame size. Even if you are looking for second hand, it is useful to go to a big store like Evans and try different brands as the 'size' is not necessarily the same in different brands, and whether it feels right for you is more important than being the 'correct' size. There's a big Evans near the Trafford Centre.

Last edited:
Top Bottom