Which bike to buy? Please help fast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
They're very similar in spec Reverend (and welcome BTW).
The Phase is marginally lighter, has a rigid fork which may appeal if you're riding mainly roads or good surfaces.
The Transition has the suspension fork which may be better if you intend doing more tracks or rough surfaces.
Gearing is identical on both bikes.
Ditto the tyres (give or take a mm or two)
Ditto the shifters.

The suspension fork or not, that's what'd decide it for me.

Avoid front suspension at that price point - it'll be heavy, slow and made of cheese, so of those two that would mean the Transition.

But if you're near a branch of Decathlon, I'd go for a Riverside 120 hybrid, or if you're confident buying second hand, check Gumtree locally :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd suggest neither. Front squidqers at that price point are invariably heavy, joyless, hateful things, which you won t especially enjoy riding and upon which you are liable to chuck in the shed and forget about fairly quickly. I'd either save a bit longer, or find something decent second hand.

gbb

Legendary Member
While id agree front suspension at that price point is going to be far far from brilliant, if you only intend to ride 1 to 6 hours a week, £160 for a bike should hopefully be ok.
My wife's hybrid was £140, that was maybe 3 years ago mind, but it's fine for occasional use...its been faultless so far in fact.
Rigid fork is a more attractive proposition for reliability etc but it may be a bit jarring I'd you were riding rough tracks.
Budget bikes can be ok, they may need a little more care, may not last as long as more expensive bikes, but it doesn't make them rubbish.
Remember Reverend is on a budget :okay:

Smudge

Veteran
Personally, i wouldn't go for any of the Apollo bikes and look at their Carrera ones.... Like the Parva that was linked to by NorthernDave.
If you can wait a few of weeks, maybe less, Halfords will have one of their regular as clockwork sales. The Parva has been around £160 before now, and was even as low as £100 on Halfords Ebay a few weeks back. You may even get a Subway in your price range.
Of course, there's many other places to buy instead of Halfords. Its the end of the season now so its a good time to start looking for bargain deals.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
1st - nobody as asked if hes buying through c2w scheme. So offering other stores and bikes may not be an option.
2nd - nobody as asked about his needs or budget

But a few have straight away said by from here or get this bike instead. Without assertaining the OPs needs

nickAKA

Über Member
1st - nobody as asked if hes buying through c2w scheme. So offering other stores and bikes may not be an option.
2nd - nobody as asked about his needs or budget

But a few have straight away said by from here or get this bike instead. Without assertaining the OPs needs

Given an 'either / or' choice you can only offer a subjective opinion based upon the info provided, so is it fair to go for a third option which is 'neither, I would recommend X, Y or Z at that budget'?

Only asking (as a relative newb) because if it's the ettiquette to only comment on the exact question asked, the OP could potentially miss out on some sound advice - without wishing to start a row obviously (I haven't got the energy for that...) :smile:

nickAKA

Über Member
When we're designing something for a client here at work, the golden rule is: do what the client asks but if you have a better idea or alternative offer that up as well as, but not instead of, what the client's asked for. Which, now I come to re-read it, is exactly the format of mine and others' posts above. :angel:

That always works best if you convince them it was their idea in the first place...

Top Bottom